Kernel Inpage Error

Neweggbuyer

Reputable
May 3, 2015
As of about two day ago, I started to get BSOD rather frequently. First it was critical_process_died, but after I factory reset the computer to make sure it wasn't a driver issue (because that was what was most recently updated), it became kernel_inpage_error (volmgrx.sys). Now I'm not sure what to do, and windows support pages tell me to run on safe mode and hope for the best by enabling/disabling programs. I came here one before for my pc way back when in 2008, so I'm hoping I'll find a solution now. I run windows 8.1 on an asus x550l and I have had it for under a year. If you need any more information, please say so. Thanks for reading.

Solution
kernel_inpage_error indicates that a driver could not read something from storage.
it could mean the driver is corrupted or the storage is returning errors when data is read.

I would start with checking your core windows files for corruption.
start cmd.exe as an admin, then run
sfc.exe /scannow
if there are any errors that it can not fix then run:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

if there were corruptions you would try to figure out what corrupted the files. I would run a malwarebytes scan to look for malware. Also, reboot your system and run the
sfc.exe /scannow command a second time. (Sometimes malware undoes fixes)

if that does not fix the problem, I would next change the system to high performance in the...
kernel_inpage_error indicates that a driver could not read something from storage.
it could mean the driver is corrupted or the storage is returning errors when data is read.

I would start with checking your core windows files for corruption.
start cmd.exe as an admin, then run
sfc.exe /scannow
if there are any errors that it can not fix then run:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

if there were corruptions you would try to figure out what corrupted the files. I would run a malwarebytes scan to look for malware. Also, reboot your system and run the
sfc.exe /scannow command a second time. (Sometimes malware undoes fixes)

if that does not fix the problem, I would next change the system to high performance in the power management settings and leave the system running overnight to let windows scan and do repairs of the harddrive. it is common for systems with mechanical drives to get bad sectors and various errors while reading data. Windows 8 will try to locate these and move the data from the failing sectors and mark the sectors as bad. It can not do this if the system is asleep or in use So you have to tell the system not to sleep.

Solution

Latest posts