Question Kernel Power 41 (63) Error

eduardocross35

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Hey guys! It's been a while since I last posted a question here.

So I'm looking for help in diagnosing the problem that I'm having right now with my PC. I'm getting the Kernel Power 41 (63) error, I know it doesn't say much other than the computer had to restart unexpectedly but I noticed it only happens when I'm gaming. My guess is that it's either the MOBO or the PSU, how can I be sure which one is it before I go buying new parts?

Thanks in advance.

System Specs:

Mobo: B550 Taichi
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (4x8GB) 3600Mhz
GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE
PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-850, 850W Platinum
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix
Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Hey there,

That's a difficult one to answer. Whilst we can rule out components (depending on the symptoms) we can't be 100% sure as we are not physically there diagnosing.

There are a couple of options in lieu of spending the money on one or the other of mobo/PSU.

You can spend maybe 20£$€ or so to bring to local repair store and get them to swap it out (PSU) and test. Or mobo and test.

Alternatively, maybe a friend could lend you theirs whilst you test it.

With that said, re-starts like that, typically at load point to a PSU issue. Yours is pretty decent for sure. But that doesn't mean it's not failing or having trouble with the RTX. RTX cards have high power requirements, but also have super fast transient power spikes. They go from zero to 350w in a micro second, and this sometimes causes even good PSU's to trip over protections. This is your restarts at gaming load.

Other than the options above, to be really sure, you would have to get a new PSU. Test. If that didn't work it's possible it's the mobo.

One thing to try is to update the bios. I know that RTX higher end cards can have issues with MSI mobo's, which can only be resolved by a bios update. It could be similar for ASRock.

Maybe try that, before last resort of new PSU.

Last edited:

eduardocross35

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Hey there,

That's a difficult one to answer. Whilst we can rule out components (depending on the symptoms) we can't be 100% sure as we are not physically there diagnosing.

There are a couple of options in lieu of spending the money on one or the other of mob/PSU.

You can spend maybe 20£$€ or so to bring to local repair store and get them to swap it out (PSU) and test. Or mobo and test.

Alternatively, maybe a friend could lend you theirs whilst you test it.

With that said, re-starts like that, typically at load point to a PSU issue. Yours is pretty decent for sure. But that doesn't mean it's not failing or having trouble with the RTX. RTX cards have high power requirements, but also have super fast transient power spikes. They go from zero to 350w in a micro second, and this sometimes causes even good PSU's to trip overprotection's. This is your restarts at gaming load.

Other than the options above, to be really sure, you would have to get a new PSU. Test. If that didn't work it's possible it's the mobo.

One thing to try is to update the bios. I know that RTX higher end cards can have issues with MSI mobo's, which can only be resolved by a bios update. It could be similar for ASRock.

Maybe try that, before last resort of new PSU.
I'm gonna try to update the BIOS before buying any new components and I'll let you know. I forgot to mention that the restarts also happen when I'm logging in to Windows, as soon as I enter my password the PC restarts. Sometimes it lets me log in but sometimes it gets stuck in that loop.

I'm gonna try to update the BIOS before buying any new components and I'll let you know. I forgot to mention that the restarts also happen when I'm logging in to Windows, as soon as I enter my password the PC restarts. Sometimes it lets me log in but sometimes it gets stuck in that loop.

Sure. Keep us updated.

Yes, what you've described can also be a symptom. Whilst it can often be at load (that's when the PSU is pushing it the most) it can be almost random. Don't figure, right!?

See what bios update does, and report back. Don't forget to do a CMOS reset after the bios update to ensure the update takes properly and clears any lingering microcode.

eduardocross35

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Sure. Keep us updated.

Yes, what you've described can also be a symptom. Whilst it can often be at load (that's when the PSU is pushing it the most) it can be almost random. Don't figure, right!?

See what bios update does, and report back. Don't forget to do a CMOS reset after the bios update to ensure the update takes properly and clears any lingering microcode.
So I have been testing it for hours now and my PC hasn't restarted on it's own since I updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS. Looks like it's a success for now. I'm gonna leave this thread open for a couple of days just in case something happens. I appreciate your help keith12!

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
So I have been testing it for hours now and my PC hasn't restarted on it's own since I updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS. Looks like it's a success for now. I'm gonna leave this thread open for a couple of days just in case something happens. I appreciate your help keith12!

No probs, glad to help out! :)

Good luck and happy gaming!

If the issue persists, get back to me.

Jul 3, 2022
I have a similar setup and having the exact same issue. I have tried it all!

Reinstalling windows several times
Memcheck with 8 passes (no errors)
Disk checks
Disconnected everything and put it all back one piece at a time (disks, ram etc).
Removed mobo to check for faults
Tried all the giudes with energy settings and so on

I even bought a new PSU to try and it still fails.

I tried with another GPU (Asus 1070 Strix) and got the same result

My guess is maybe the AMD processor?

I have unchecked the box where windows reboots when critical errors occurs. I do not like this at all but it seems to be the only way.

Mobo: ASUS B550F-gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x16GB) 3600Mhz
GPU: ASUS ROG RTX 3080 10gb
PSU: Corsair RM, 850W Gold

eduardocross35

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Okay so I finally found the problem! It's not the PSU but the cable extensions connected to my PSU cables. All I did was connect the PSU cables directly to my components and now I'm not having any kind of problems. Looks like my cable extensions have reached their end.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

eduardocross35

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
I have a similar setup and having the exact same issue. I have tried it all!

Reinstalling windows several times
Memcheck with 8 passes (no errors)
Disk checks
Disconnected everything and put it all back one piece at a time (disks, ram etc).
Removed mobo to check for faults
Tried all the giudes with energy settings and so on

I even bought a new PSU to try and it still fails.

I tried with another GPU (Asus 1070 Strix) and got the same result

My guess is maybe the AMD processor?

I have unchecked the box where windows reboots when critical errors occurs. I do not like this at all but it seems to be the only way.

Mobo: ASUS B550F-gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2x16GB) 3600Mhz
GPU: ASUS ROG RTX 3080 10gb
PSU: Corsair RM, 850W Gold
Do you have any cable extensions? I tried removing them and it worked. Looks like my cable extensions were faulty.

Okay so I finally found the problem! It's not the PSU but the cable extensions connected to my PSU cables. All I did was connect the PSU cables directly to my components and now I'm not having any kind of problems. Looks like my cable extensions have reached their end.

Yeah, most PSU manufacturers recommend using only their cables. The extensions are possibly not of the same quality.

Good spot in the end!

Glad you got it sorted. Happy gaming :)

Reactions: eduardocross35