Question Kernel power 41 (63) on a new build

Feb 18, 2019
Hello, I set up a new build this weekend and I kept from my last one, the gpu and the psu. So yesterday, I encounter with an autorestart of my pc while playing a game. Firstly I thought it might be smth with the cpu temperature (maybe I haven't applied thermal paste the right way or smth) but I noticed that this was not the issue as it never passed 38-39 degrees. So I kept playing and it happened two more times. There was no BSOD, no dump file, just my pc restarts itself. I read some solutions from Microsoft by changing some power settings but it happened once again after I made em. I imagine the gpu is not faulty because as I said, I kept it from my last pc and I never experienced such an issue. So I'm reading that Kernel power 41, sometimes it has to do with the psu (that I also didn't change). It might be the one causing the probelm and how I'm supposed to be sure? I 've spent my budget and above updating my pc so I'm a bit uncomfortable to make more expenses. Is there a way to test it first? Sadly I dont have another to replace it for testing reasons.

My build is:

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard
intel i7 9700k cpu
MSI GTX980 gpu
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8 GB) ram
Samsung EVO 970 plus 500GB ssd
NZXT H700 case
CoolerMaster G750m psu

Thanks in advnace

The event in Event manager also shows some error codes. It should show 4 different bugcheck codes, I'm hoping they're not all 0x0000 codes. If not, try googling those, or posting them here if that doesn't help. Let's start looking there. The kernel power errors can have any number of causes, so doesn't have to be PSU specific.

Feb 18, 2019
So all bugcheck parameter are 0x0. Basicaly everything is at 0 except the "ConnectedStandbyInProgress false" and "BugchenInfoFromEfi false".
Any suggestions?
I double check my drivers that are up to date and according to Intel Driver & Support Assistant they re. I repluged every cable also and run the memtest and there was no errors.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The psu unfortunately can only be tested by trying with another one,no friend or local shop that can lend one?

You have problems in the bios or just when gaming? If the bios is without problems could you consider to flash the latest bios.Maybe this will give a better system stability.

Feb 18, 2019
No it happens only (so far at least) when gaming. My BIOS is brand new since the motherboard is 2 days old. I didnt change anything at all. Still on default settings.

If it helps, it seems to occur after I choose an option from a game. For example it happened after I chose the option "load game" or "start game" but it happened in the meantime too, less frequent tho.

What wattage psu should I lend to be sure that it occures the startup or not? Mine is 750 but listed on the bronze section. A 750 but gold one should be better or shall I aim at 850 or smth?

EDIT: I missread the bios part, I will flash the latest version ok and replying back after some testing.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
So it just happened again after updatind BIOS to its latest version.
Please someone has any other suggestion?
Can't even play 15 mins in a totally new pc is such a same.
Shall I go with the psu solution? Could it be smth else I havent checked already? Everything seems to work properly.

Feb 18, 2019
It didn't had such an option. After completing the install it rebooted and that's it. Can overclock be on from default? Ram speed is at 2133, what else shoud I check? Where in BIOS is MCE?
It happened even in Football Manager. I dont think it has to do with overclocking, its such a low needer.
It also happened in Kholat and Residen Evil 2.