Deleted member 2720853

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini overclocked, draws about 214W power at full load
RAM: 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz CL16
Motherboard: B550 Aorus Pro bios ver F1
PSU: Corsair CX 650 2017 Non-Modular

I ran this build on a test bench with another identical PSU, and it shut down then as well. Now, thinking that specific PSU is defective, I assembled it in my PC thinking my PSU would be fine with it. But nope, I still get random hard resets and Kernel Power 41 in Event Viewer.

My PSU is brand new, bought in December 2019, and the test bench PSU was bought brand new about 3 months back.

Do I really need to change to a RM or higher to run this? It's 650W, 80+ certified and a decently built PSU, I don't think the PSU is the problem.

Memtest returned no memory errors. AIDA64 stability test was able to run overnight without shutdowns. Stressed all components.

I checked and reseated all power cables. I made sure the giant cooler wasn't touching the GPU. I double checked my temps, voltages, and power draw of both CPU and GPU during load, and even during a stress test, the PC didn't shut down.

It just... happens randomly.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Mini overclocked, draws about 214W power at full load
RAM: 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz CL16
Motherboard: B550 Aorus Pro bios ver F1
PSU: Corsair CX 650 2017 Non-Modular

I ran this build on a test bench with another identical PSU, and it shut down then as well. Now, thinking that specific PSU is defective, I assembled it in my PC thinking my PSU would be fine with it. But nope, I still get random hard resets and Kernel Power 41 in Event Viewer.

My PSU is brand new, bought in December 2019, and the test bench PSU was bought brand new about 3 months back.

Do I really need to change to a RM or higher to run this? It's 650W, 80+ certified and a decently built PSU, I don't think the PSU is the problem.

Memtest returned no memory errors. AIDA64 stability test was able to run overnight without shutdowns. Stressed all components.
All Kernel Error 41 means is it rebooted without a clean shutdown.

Is Windows a clean install for the build? Are you running with a 'clean' BIOS; no changes to memory or CPU from stock.

I'd consider updating BIOS to F3.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Event 41 with no other "alerts" is almost certainly your PSU. Drea is right insofar as exactly what it means. So, for instance if you had been messing with overclocks and such, restarting a lot it can log that way.

I would certainly consider investing in a higher power and end PSU anyway...but it sure is bad timing on that part due to prices and availability.

D

Deleted member 2720853

This is a clean reinstallation of Windows.

I have updated everything. Installed chipset drivers first. Installed clean NVIDIA drivers with NVcleanstall. Only overclocked the GPU.

The CPU goes to 140W MAX under load, and the GPU goes to 215W. You're telling me a PSU with 648W on the 12v rail can't deliver 355W? As I said, it doesn't shut down during stress tests, just randomly when it's idle.

Two PSUs have been tried, as I said, same thing. I refuse to believe both PSUs are defective, or this specific model can't handle a CPU that draws only 50 more watts over my old i7-8700 under load.

I have updated everything. Installed chipset drivers first. Installed clean NVIDIA drivers with NVcleanstall. Only overclocked the GPU.

The CPU goes to 140W MAX under load, and the GPU goes to 215W. You're telling me a PSU with 648W on the 12v rail can't deliver 355W? As I said, it doesn't shut down during stress tests, just randomly when it's idle.

Two PSUs have been tried, as I said, same thing. I refuse to believe both PSUs are defective, or this specific model can't handle a CPU that draws only 50 more watts over my old i7-8700 under load.
I guess that leaves you with a bad motherboard or CPU.

Are you on latest BIOS? Remove the GPU overclock.

Looks like the PSU is the next thing to try.

Install HWInfo64 and monitor the +12V rails. The reading probably is not 'accurate', but you're looking to see if it's fluctuating wildly as load comes on or goes off. If it's holding pretty steady then look elsewhere for your problem.

And agreed: remove all overclocks. You want pure stock settings.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I guess that leaves you with a bad motherboard or CPU.

Are you on latest BIOS? Remove the GPU overclock.
I'm not on the latest bios, I'm on F1 and the latest is F3. Should I update?
Removing the GPU overclock does nothing as this happens during idle and not during stress tests.

It can't be a bad motherboard as this is my second replacement motherboard, after the first one was defective from factory. Doubt the CPU is the issue.

I'm not on the latest bios, I'm on F1 and the latest is F3. Should I update?
Removing the GPU overclock does nothing as this happens during idle and not during stress tests.

It can't be a bad motherboard as this is my second replacement motherboard, after the first one was defective from factory. Doubt the CPU is the issue.
Well, a PC is made up of only a few hardware components that is controlled by software. If you're positive it can't be any of the hardware that leaves only software to blame.

Update to latest BIOS. If that doesn't fix it then try a full reinstall of Windows again. If that doesn't fix it then it's back to the hardware.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Here's the thing about updating BIOS, I really don't want it to lose power WHILE it's updating.

Here's the thing about updating BIOS, I really don't want it to lose power WHILE it's updating.
No, you don't want that.

Updating to F3 is a good idea recommended: it has AGESA v2 1.0.0.2 which fixes some pretty significant problems. But also, F1 is the launch BIOS and they always have bugs that are worked out in subsequent releases.

Do you live in an area that experiences frequent power interruptions? If so, you probably also don't have 'clean' AC power coming into the PSU which will cause it to have power fluctuations too. That could be the source of your random crashes if neither of your PSU's have really good 'hold up time' to maintain good voltage to the system during the fluctuations.

If this is the case, getting an UPS may be the solution to all your problems.

D

Deleted member 2720853

No, this literally never happened before.

Anyway, I updated the BIOS to F3. This was my first ever bios update and it was stressful as heck.

We'll see what that accomplished.

D

Deleted member 2720853

You always get stressed when you do a BIOS update. Even after a thousand build ;p
Mhm, not looking forward to the next. No shutdowns so far, and I have ran Cinebench R20, Aida64, FurMark, IntelBurnTest and more a lot of times. Fingers crossed hoping this was just a BIOS issue.

Mhm, not looking forward to the next. No shutdowns so far, and I have ran Cinebench R20, Aida64, FurMark, IntelBurnTest and more a lot of times. Fingers crossed hoping this was just a BIOS issue.
Now that the whole thing is done with the system booted into a UEFI command session (using M-FLASH) it's a lot less risky than it used to be. Mostly, the problems now come from people thinking it takes too long and reset their system in the middle of it. Just be patient.

Of course, the other thing is if you're in an area with sketchy power; don't EVER start one if expecting a thunderstorm in the area! If you're especially nervous about that, getting a UPS is the safest way. They're surprisingly cheap for one that will hold a system for at least an hour since running in UEFI is very low power consumption (processor in real mode, GPU running text mode screens only).

This is a clean reinstallation of Windows.

Disable anything below s3 power state.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Disable anything below s3 power state.
How exactly do I do that?

Okay I ran powercfg -a in cmd and this is what it shows:
cmd_Zb7HC59Sxk.png

Is this good? It hasn't shut down overnight.

D

Deleted member 2720853

this or disable C3/C4 in bios.
it's usually Power Mgmt in Windows not being compatible with motherboard settings like C6/C7.
Alright, I'll return in a few hours, and if the system hasn't shut down yet, I'll conclude that the old BIOS was the entire issue. If it still shuts down, I'll try disabling C-States.

Looking good so far.

Taskmgr_raCkqZPHHl.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I'll return in a few hours, and if the system hasn't shut down yet, I'll conclude that the old BIOS was the entire issue. If it still shuts down, I'll try disabling C-States.

Looking good so far.

Taskmgr_raCkqZPHHl.png

The problem might be the power supply. I could be wrong (JohnnyGuru can answer), but the older CX series might not have supported the deeper power states. The older power supply designs used to shut down when the BIOS went into those ultra power saving modes. This became an issue starting around the intel Intel 6000 series IIRC. (Don't quote me on that though)

D

Deleted member 2720853

The problem might be the power supply. I could be wrong (JohnnyGuru can answer), but the older CX series might not have supported the deeper power states. The older power supply designs used to shut down when the BIOS went into those ultra power saving modes. This became an issue starting around the intel Intel 6000 series IIRC. (Don't quote me on that though)
I have the new CX gray, not the older one. Anyway, 22 hour uptime and no shut down. I think it was just a faulty first release BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.