Kernel-Power 41 Computer Crash help?

Kovah

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I am having this error every now and again i can not pin point what is making it crash. At first i thought it was over heating or my Video Card but each time around the random crash my Card is around 55ish.

The error will cause my PC to lock up no sound cant move the mouse but my screen has the last image right when it crashes.
This has been going on for a while now and i have tried to deal with it but i did not have this computer built just to have it crash =(.

The Error is as followed:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/15/2011 1:26:11 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: PC-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-15T05:26:11.537210600Z" />
<EventRecordID>32376</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>PC-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

My Build is
Windows 7 64
285 2g GTX GeForce
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
Intel Core i7-950
Sabertooth X58 MB
Crucial 3-2GB DDR3 Ballistix PC3 - 12800 CL8, 1.65V W/XMP
Coolermaster 850W Silent Pro M

I have had this going on from the first month i got the PC thought it was just me messing up something 4 Months later i got pissed about it and thought re-installing Windows might help it. For 2 Months not one crash thought it was fixed till' last week when i was crushed that after all that time it started up again.
If this helps any the Date/Time of the crashes
3/20/11 2:22 PM
4/12/11 12:28 AM
5/26/11 6:05 PM
5/27/11 1:05 PM
6/6/11 5:08 PM
6/8/2011 4:23 PM
6/15/11 1:26 PM

Also i have most if not all of my hardware up-to-date
i would love some imput on what could cause this i have looked into the error
MANY MANY times now some of the common fixes i tried like
turning off my screen saver and the power saver.
one said look to see if i had 2 audio drivers going at once looked and i only had one.
If it is hardware related i am not above going back to microcenter and getting
a part swapped or exchanged.

Sorry for the giant wall of text here this is also my first time posting here
and its 7 AM so i might not be at my best when typing this but any and all help is welcome i just want this fixed =(

Oh also if i posted this in the wrong forum let me know and i will take it down if i can and repost in the right one.

THWildCat

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I don't know if you have already fixed or had your problem answered. But in case you hadn't, I figured I would reply to your post. I was helping a friend of mine out that had this same problem on a new build that was crashing and looping. Both of us are fairly tech savvy, him having gone to school for it while I am a self taught Hi-Tech Redneck, but this problem had us stumped. Not to mention a few choice cuss words.

After much Googling and reading of forums, ran across two things which so far have seemed to have resolved his problems.

#1) Tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302429-31-kernel-power-issue-windows-reboot-loop

After reading this, I had him check his event viewer and he had all 3 of the causes of this problem- "Kernel-Power Issue 41" ,
"BugcheckCode = 0", and "PowerButtonTimestamp = 0"- same things that you show in your post. You can check out the Microsoft Support article for this here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 and be sure to check SCENARIO #3.

He swapped his new build PSU with the old one from his other computer and it worked. At least it did for a lot longer than it was before. But after awhile he was still having some random crashes. That led me to another forum which talked about having the wrong hard drive settings in your BIOS. Which then led me to...

#2) Activating AHCI in Win 7. Found the below info here: http://sonic-media.dk/?p=103

Activating AHCI
If you installed Windows 7 previously with your motherboard set to AHCI mode instead of IDE mode your settled. If your motherboard runs in IDE mode though you really want to set it to run AHCI instead, since it’s faster. Some claim you need to reinstall Windows to archieve this, but that’s not true. Thing is, you need to do two very simple things to activate AHCI.
1. Activate AHCI in Windows first!
There’s a brilliant guide on how to activate AHCI in Windows from Microsfot here! Since it’s written in danish, I’ll just re-write it here in english. So here’s how to activate AHCI in Windows, which needs to be done first before you activate it in your BIOS.
1a. Close all your open programs in Windows.
2a. Click Start (the windows logo in your taskbar) and type regedit in the searchfield.
3a. Open regedit, and do a search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
4a. Right click on the “Start” entry it found under Msachi, and select “Properties”
5a. The value will most likely say “3″. Change that value to “0″ (zero).
6a. Quit regedit, and reboot your PC. AHCI has now been activated.
2. Activate AHCI in your BIOS
When your PC boots up, press Delete, F2 or whatever your BIOS prompts you to press to enter setup. When you’re inside your BIOS, go to the harddisk configuration menu. Now go to where it says SATA Setting or similar, and it will probaly stand as “IDE”. Simply select “IDE” press enter, and choose AHCI from the drop-down menu. Once it’s set to AHCI, press escape, save and exit.
Your SSD will now run in AHCI mode, and gain some speed. Notice, that it is very important to activate AHCI in Windows before you activate it in the BIOS. If you do not activate it in Windows first, you’ll simply get a blue screen upon loading Windows. If that happens, just go to your BIOS and set SATA mode back to IDE, then boot Windows, and activate AHCI as described above, reboot, and jump back into BIOS and activate AHCI as described.

When my friend originally built his PC, after installing Win 7 he went into the Bios and changed from IDE to AHCI. Even
after fixing the PSU issue, he was still having some random crashes. After he followed the above directions he's been crash
free - "knock on wood"- so far for a few days. I hope this info helps you, or anyone else, here on Tom's hardware.

MarkSchmidt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I get the same Kernel 41 error crashing, but I only get it during playing games.
I can provoke it everytime by playing Bad Company 2, after each round when it loads it crashes.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-09T19:02:25.251615300Z" />
<EventRecordID>26909</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I tried what u wrote^ but it did not work :(
I've had so many crashes, that I want to throw my PC in to the ocean

MarkSchmidt

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

AMD Phenom II X6 1090TBE/AM3 3.2GHz 9MB 125W
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz XMS3 DDR3 4GB
Club3D Radeon HD 6870 CGAX-68724F
Club3D Radeon HD 6870 CGAX-68724F
Corsair Professional Series HX 1050W

You want me to update Windows first, and then update/install drivers then

Mick- Jagger

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah how did it go?great ive come here hoping i can find a fix after reinstalling windows 7 for the first time,and im pretty sure its a clean install,it must have been corrupted before as i was starting to get connection problems to certain Uplay games,and servers didnt seem to pick me up well?anyways that was fixed by doing this,but the problem has now been replaced by as many as three a day of this critical41 crashsometimes straight to desktop and other times BSOD!Im not an IT pro so hence i come here please is there anything ive forgotten to install?Im getting desperate and thinking of wiping all four drives and starting over...