[SOLVED] Kernel-Power 41 crashes after RAM upgrade?

CL43

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
so today I got more RAM for my computer, it is the exact same kind as the two old ones, 4 8GB pny xlr. I installed them and made sure the computer recognized them, but when I booted up COD cold war, within 3 minutes the computer went BSOD with bug check: 0x0000000a. I ran sfc /scannow and no corruption, I ran chkdsk /f and nothing either, I did driver verifier. I adjusted power settings. Took the RAM out and put it back in. Updated all drivers, windows updates, fast startup is off. I did memory diagnosis and it said the RAM was completely fine. I only crash when turning on Video Games if that helps.
Specs:
Nvidia RTX 2070 super
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x six-core
32GB same 4 modules
Crucial MX 1TB
EVGA 750w power supply

Can someone help please, someone else had the same issue as me and they said they were told it was too rapid a change in heat.

Bugcheck: 0x0000000a (0x0000004e205ffc98, 0x000000000000000f, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff8013fff1fb7
I do have a minidump dmp uppon request, but I do not know how I would get that to anyone

Solution
@DSzymborski I acctually just figured it out, took one of the latest dump files and ran it through, Microsoft debugger, it told me file: cpuz149_x64 .sys was causing the crashes, this file traces back to Corsair ICUE which I had installed on my PC. A few other apps use this but the only one I had was ICUE.

CL43

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
UPDATE 1- I ran memetest86 for 2 1/2 hours got through 1 pass and 95% of another with 0 errors. It isn't a RAM issue I think , especially since it only crashes with a video game open, I think it is a venting issue. The RAM modules are crammed together and none of my 4 computer fans are directly venting the RAM, tommorrow I am gonna buy a 2 fan slot to put in one of the metal puch outs to directly vent the RAM. I also was mistaken about the power supply it is not 750w it is 700w but I think that is plenty either way.

Kernel error 41 is usually a power issue or from what you are describing an issue with your RAM.

You should test your PSU under load for rail voltage fluctuations out of spec.

You also mentioned mixing RAM which is not a good idea. Even with the same specs you can have a mismatch due to slight variations in Density/Latency which can cause issues. RAM kits are binned at the factory to ensure compatibility and that each module in a kit comply. Crashes can occur when data is sent to a different module where different timings or voltage are required.

Here is an authoritative thread on the subject: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview.

4 RAM sticks with Zen+ can be an issue because it's to heavy for the memorycontroller.
What motherboard exactly and what BIOS version is installed?
What RAM exactly?

2 memorykits with exasct the same specs from the same vendor can cause problems because they're not from the same batch and not garuanteed te work together.

CL43

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
Do you recommend replacing all 4 memory sticks? or just taking out the new ones? I ran multiple memory tests and it said they were fine, it only crashes when in video games. also the power supply was fine before the upgrade. also the motherboard @--SID-- is ROG STRIX B450-f gaming, I dont know what my bios version is and I thought you needed to take your pc to a professional to update BIOS? I just bought two more of the newer memory sticks I bought last week, that should give me identical new set of 4 RAM

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you recommend replacing all 4 memory sticks? or just taking out the new ones? I ran multiple memory tests and it said they were fine, it only crashes when in video games. also the power supply was fine before the upgrade. also the motherboard @--SID-- is ROG STRIX B450-f gaming, I dont know what my bios version is and I thought you needed to take your pc to a professional to update BIOS? I just bought two more of the newer memory sticks I bought last week, that should give me identical new set of 4 RAM

The best place to start is to test each set individually in games.

And again, just because it's the same model doesn't mean it's identical RAM. There's no such thing as identical RAM (or identical CPUs, etc) because that's not how fabrication works. Only RAM sold together in a single kit has been tested and is guaranteed to work together, not the same brand, same model, or even same model sold on the same day at the same retailer.

I'm also very curious about this power supply. It sounds a lot like you're crashing at load, and you reference a 700W EVGA PSU, something a bit worrisome because I can't think of any EVGA 700W PSU that's enough quality that you should be running a 2070 Super on it. The crashes could be coincidental to a PSU problem.

CL43

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
At this point I have tried everything, if someone can help debugg one of the minidumps I have that might tell me exactly what I need to know, can someone tell me how to get them one of the minidumps?

In my opinion, you need to return all the new RAM kits you bought, and then buy one 2x16 or 2x8 kit of RAM depending on how mow much you want/need. It is really hard to determine what the problem is when you have symptoms that may indicate a PSU issue but the problems only started after trying to combine 2 different RAM kits. I would do as @DSzymborski suggested and for testing purposes use only either the new kit of RAM or the old kit of RAM for now.

CL43

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
@DSzymborski I acctually just figured it out, took one of the latest dump files and ran it through, Microsoft debugger, it told me file: cpuz149_x64 .sys was causing the crashes, this file traces back to Corsair ICUE which I had installed on my PC. A few other apps use this but the only one I had was ICUE.

Solution
Purge it from your computer and let us know if that fixes your issue. A lot of times the dump file merely blame a process on the computer and the underlying issue is not the actual process.