[SOLVED] Kernel power 41 crashes on old pc while gaming only

Aug 24, 2021
Four days ago while playing the game Genshin Impact, my old gaming pc crashed. The display turned into a solid color, sound loop, system freeze, no bsod, which forced me to manually power off the unit. I checked reliability history and it just says there that system wasn't shutdown properly, temps were normal while gaming. Event viewer showed Kernel power 41. Now whenever I play Genshin on fullscreen 1440p the problem reoccurs around 10 mins into the game. But when I play it on windowed 1080p it doesn't crash the system. It has also crashed once while playing Valorant on fullscreen 1440p as well, I was able to play valorant all night when I put in on windowed mode too. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot; reassembled the pc, changed to my old mobo(b85), ran ram tests, updated bios and chipsets, changed surge protectors, turned off fast boot, ddu'd gpu drivers, reformatted windows, reinstalled games. I also was able to run Heaven Benchmark on 1440p high for 2 hours without problems which was weird but as soon I tried to play genshin it froze 10 mins into the game. My pc was built around 2016 and I know it's old but I want to single out the source of this problem. My suspects are the psu or gpu. I'm about to buy a new psu this week and see if it fixes the problem. Side note: valorant which was in an hdd crashed once and genshin in an ssd crashes around 10 mins into the game,s o I ruled out a drive problem. Never oc'd the cpu temps were normal during crashes. No bsod dump files.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $86.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-24 10:47 EDT-0400

Solution
Im having a similar issue, but it happens after long sessions of gaming, with the pc in light usage. But regarding your issue if the game is working good(no artifacts and such), it could still be the gpu but i guess the higher probability is that your psu isnt delivering power the same as it did once. You should check that gpu in another pc if you can anyway.

diegopeter9

Reputable
May 22, 2018
Im having a similar issue, but it happens after long sessions of gaming, with the pc in light usage. But regarding your issue if the game is working good(no artifacts and such), it could still be the gpu but i guess the higher probability is that your psu isnt delivering power the same as it did once. You should check that gpu in another pc if you can anyway.

Solution