[SOLVED] Kernel Power 41 error

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
I slammed my hand into my desk and everything just shut off and my CPU fans went max RPM. I looked in Event Viewer and got Kernal Power 41 error. 2D games and idling work just fine but when I load up a 3D game I can hear buzzing from some component in my computer and the PSU and then it crashes after a few minutes or sometimes instantly. I changed the socket to where I plug in the PSU and it worked for a while but then it started doing this again after about 2 hours of constant use. I ran up Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and it crashes after about a minute or two of running. I am suspecting this is my PSU because I know its some cheap garbage and is kind of old at this point and surprised it is lasting this long for what it is. I forgot the exact brand name and wattage but I know its around 480W. I know this can also be caused by audio drivers or some other drivers but I am not completely sure.

My setup is:
R7 3700x
RTX 2060 super
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb DDR4 3600mhz
PSU is around 480W(don't know brand)

edit: it's an ALLIED sl-8500btx 480W psu

Last edited:
Solution
Well... just replace that.
Not a 480W PSU, unfortunately. It only supplies 372W on the +12V rail... that's the rail providing power to the main power hungry components. You can effectively call that a 372W PSU.

It is also of junk/garbage tier quality, so replace it ASAP before it takes other expensive components with it. That's most likely the cause of your system loosing power during intensive loads.

As future advice, the PSU is one of the most(if not the most) important parts of your system... don't skimp on it, because you'll most likely regret it later.

For the recommendations part... 550W will be sufficient, 650W more headroom.
Great PSU options: Corsair TXM or RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SuperNOVA G3 or Superflower LEADEX...
Not a 480W PSU, unfortunately. It only supplies 372W on the +12V rail... that's the rail providing power to the main power hungry components. You can effectively call that a 372W PSU.

It is also of junk/garbage tier quality, so replace it ASAP before it takes other expensive components with it. That's most likely the cause of your system loosing power during intensive loads.

As future advice, the PSU is one of the most(if not the most) important parts of your system... don't skimp on it, because you'll most likely regret it later.

Great PSU options: Corsair TXM or RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SuperNOVA G3 or Superflower LEADEX III

Solution
it's an ALLIED sl-8500btx 480W power supply

giphy.gif

Wow! That's garbage. There's literally only one brand worse (Powmax).

Fortunately for consumers, that factory (Deer/Allied) shuttered a long time ago.

Reactions: ChumP

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
giphy.gif

Wow! That's garbage. There's literally only one brand worse (Powmax).

Fortunately for consumers, that factory (Deer/Allied) shuttered a long time ago.
yeah I know but it's a prebuilt and I've replaced every part except the psu. Guess I'm gonna replace it today lol

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020

Great PSU options: Corsair TXM or RMx, Seasonic Focus Plus, EVGA SuperNOVA G3 or Superflower LEADEX III
suprised it lasted almost 2 1/2 years

berb

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020

Thanks, now it's just saying connect the PCIe cable to the graphics card so I think its busted for good now. I'm just gonna get SeaSonic PSU since that's seems like the most reliable.