[SOLVED] Kernel Power 41 on New PC (PSU Changed)

Aug 23, 2019
Hello,

I've been using my old PSU on the new PC I've built. (Corsair HX850W 80 Silver). After building my new PC and starting to use it, I was often getting Kernel-Power 41 error and it was specifically happening in CS:GO. After doing some research about it, I've learned that the biggest cause of this is often the PSU, so I bought a new PSU, NZXT E850 80+ Gold to be exact. At first, there were no issues but, for the last 2 days, I started to get Kernel-Power 41 error even while using Chrome. After getting the error my computer restarted and the screen I got was like below (I'm using Game Boost mode):

View: https://imgur.com/zQpoayb

From this screen, I clicked on "load last know..." and continued to use my pc. After 2 days, today, I experienced this problem again while Chrome was open. The minidump file and error code I got after this issue is below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s6ucLzGNL3Wmtpht_rtpcbwHOcxUYFPj

Error Code:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> <EventID>41</EventID> <Version>6</Version> <Level>1</Level> <Task>63</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-23T21:23:51.289892000Z" /> <EventRecordID>4910</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>E</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="BugcheckCode">292</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xffff8504ab7ce028</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xb2000000</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x30005</Data> <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> <Data Name="Checkpoint">41</Data> <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data> <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">2</Data> <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data> <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data> <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data> </EventData> </Event>

My System:

Intel i7 9700K @ 5 MHz (Game Boost)
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI Gaming X
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC
Gigabyte Aorus KD25F 25" 240 Hz 0.5 MS
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 500GB 3500MB/s-3300MB/s M.2
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16
WD Blue SATA 1 TB 7200 RPM
Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB
Cooler Master Sleeved Red
NZXT Internal USB Hub
NZXT H700i
NZXT Kraken X72 RGB 360mm
NZXT 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU with Digital Monitoring

Since I couldn't get the issue solved even with a new PSU, I did some more research and learned that it might be because of the RAMs. After doing a Windows 10 Ram test, the result was fine. Shortly, I couldn't get the issue solved with all the things I did. Could anyone help me with this issue, please?

Solution
MSI boards tend to have that issue, quite a bit. I was going to advise that you reflash the BIOS with the same v 1.5 BIOS but the reset seems to have cleared the chip.

I asked about the PSU because often times I see people using pre-sleeved(non extension) cable kits not meant for a particular PSU. Use a pre-sleeved kit for the unit it's specified for. Using extensions on any PSU is fine.

If you don't get any errors after 10 passes of memtest, per stick, per slot then run your usual gamut of daily apps/tasks and try recreating the issue you've spoken about midway through this thread. Add rams to the slots(per the manual) when you're going dual channel. Don't worry about having a third stick, just make sure it's on the slot...
Aug 23, 2019
Are you on the latest BISO for your motherboard? Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Mind stating what you mean by, CoolerMaster Sleeved Red in your parts list? Got a link to aforementioned part?

Yes, I'm using MS-7B17 1.50 and Windows 10 1903 OS Build 18362.295. I mean Sleeved Cable; https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/cable-kit/sleeved-extension-cable-kit-black/

Event 41 isn't a PSU error. All it signifies is Windows, on restart, found it hadn't shutdown the previous time. Its a reaction, not the cause.

It could be anything causing the restarts.

Sorry, it just bugs me that people always blame the PSU when this error shows up :)

Actually, after the changed my PSU I didn't see any kernel power 41 error code while playing the CS:GO but this time I got it while surfing on the internet. It's really weird and I need help for fixing it.

---

Btw, my CPU temperatures while using the prime95 seem high for me, what you think about it?

View: https://imgur.com/a/L8R9zRf

After 10 mins:

Aug 23, 2019
While testing the rams one by one, I got the error above on the last ram. After getting the error, I stopped the test and shut down my pc to unplug, and plug back in the ram. After doing that it managed to get through that stage of the test. That makes me feel unsure about this, did it give me that error because that ram stick wasn't plugged into the slot properly or the ram itself has an issue. What should I do?

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/yLHTJcu

Colif

Win 11 Master
6 & 8 seems to go in pairs. 1st error you got was test 8, second test 6. it was a question about 6 & 8 that made me suggest a reseat - link

So you doing 4 passes? until this year you could run 8 passes on a stick, I would do more just to make sure the one with no errors was not just lucky.

Have you checked CPU out yet as memory controller is on it? Prime 95 passed, just run this as a 2nd opinion: - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Reactions: Ryukein
Aug 23, 2019
6 & 8 seems to go in pairs. 1st error you got was test 8, second test 6. it was a question about 6 & 8 that made me suggest a reseat - link

So you doing 4 passes? until this year you could run 8 passes on a stick, I would do more just to make sure the one with no errors was not just lucky.

Have you checked CPU out yet as memory controller is on it? Prime 95 passed, just run this as a 2nd opinion: - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

After the last test, I put all the RAM and test it again then I got 9 and 6 errors.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5kOr1Rh

I did the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and the results seem fine to me.

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.3.35
--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 8/25/2019 11:36:24 AM

----------------------------------------------
-- Testing
CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.
CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.
CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.
CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.
CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.
CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.
CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.
CPU 1 - Math - Pass.
CPU 1 - GPUStressW - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.

IPDT64 Passed
--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.1.3.35
--- IPDT64 - End Time: 8/25/2019 11:40:11 AM

PASS

Colif

Win 11 Master
so its either one or more sticks to blame, if they all part of a set I would RMA them all as failing memtest is often all they need as a reason.

different errors this time, though since that is all 4 sticks at once you cannot tell which is at fault

Aug 23, 2019
so its either one or more sticks to blame, if they all part of a set I would RMA them all as failing memtest is often all they need as a reason.

different errors this time, though since that is all 4 sticks at once you cannot tell which is at fault

I’m testing them one by one with turned off the XMP. I'il probably send it to the RMA.

Lutfij

Titan
MSI boards tend to have that issue, quite a bit. I was going to advise that you reflash the BIOS with the same v 1.5 BIOS but the reset seems to have cleared the chip.

I asked about the PSU because often times I see people using pre-sleeved(non extension) cable kits not meant for a particular PSU. Use a pre-sleeved kit for the unit it's specified for. Using extensions on any PSU is fine.

If you don't get any errors after 10 passes of memtest, per stick, per slot then run your usual gamut of daily apps/tasks and try recreating the issue you've spoken about midway through this thread. Add rams to the slots(per the manual) when you're going dual channel. Don't worry about having a third stick, just make sure it's on the slot prescribed by MSI when you're going for a quad channel loadout.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 23, 2019

If you don't get any errors after 10 passes of memtest, per stick, per slot then run your usual gamut of daily apps/tasks and try recreating the issue you've spoken about midway through this thread. Add rams to the slots(per the manual) when you're going dual channel. Don't worry about having a third stick, just make sure it's on the slot prescribed by MSI when you're going for a quad channel loadout.

The two RAMs I purchased later seem to be corrupted. So I'm gonna send them to RMA. When I get a new one I'll let you know in here result.