Question Kernel Power 41 with no BSOD while gaming on new PC. (not overheating)

Aug 30, 2020
Hey Everyone!

I put together a PC for my brother last month who lives a state away and am trying to troubleshoot for him.

He can reliably get the PC to shut off while running CSGO, a few other games will also randomly get the PC to shut off. No BSOD happens, it either fully shuts off and he needs to flip the switch on the power supply to get it to respond to pressing the power button to turn back on, or it turns off but fans and RGB are still running (sleep mode?).

I've ruled out overheating by monitoring the GPU and CPU temp logs before and after shutdown. I ran memtest without issue. Messed with tons of driver installs. Ran DSKCHK, and a ton of other software related troubleshooting ideas based off of threads with this issue. Probably 8 or more hours working with him to resolve this issue assuming a software problem. The system isn't over locked and the MB voltages were right.

Now my gut is telling me that perhaps the PSU is just faulty and that is what he is going to try today.... buying a new power supply and trying that. While pcpartpicker and other PSU calculators say that 600 Watts should be plenty, is this power supply maybe just too small and he should try a 750? I saw a thread where a guy replaced the power supply with a similar size one and the issue wasn't fixed until he got a bigger power supply. Any thoughts would be appreciated... Thank you for your time.

Here is his build:
  • https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LRjjtp
  • ryzen 5 2600 3.4
  • asrock b450m-hdv R4.0
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 (2.8) ddr4-3200
  • crucial 1 TB M.2-2280 SSD
  • Asrock radeon RX 580 8 gb
  • EVGA 600 W 80+ (best buy)

Last edited: