Question Kernel Power Error (41) and High CPU usage.

Apr 18, 2023
Hello Tom's Hardware.

Yesterday I was on my computer (HP 4000 PRO SFF, it's for college) doing some powerpoints when my PC just shut down randomly and booted up again at the same time.

Today I tried opening it and it did the same thing like 2 times, Once when I was playing The Binding Of Issac and once when I was checking my USB ports in the back of the case.

Seems weird since it was working just fine yesterday up until that time when that happened, Event viewer shows this:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

It has been stable for the last 30 minutes or so but I don't know what happens next.

Here are some things I did:
Disconnected and reconnected all power cables to PSU
Removed the two sticks of ram
All chipset drivers and BIOS up to date, also reinstalled latest chipset drivers and BIOS

Although, My PC is dusty, it is filled to the brim with dust, Could the PSU or CPU could have been dying because of it? My CPU is about 27* when idle and about 60* with normal usage.

This is just a PC I bought from collage, No GPU (only IGPU) and 2 hard drives, I need this as I am a broke collage dude and I really have no money to spend on PSUs and <Mod Edit> and this PC has all my stuff. Thanks.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
event 41 is a reaction, not a cause. Its result of a report run by windows at startup, if it finds it was shut down unexpectedly, it creates that event.

it doesn't always mean its the PSU.

clean out all the dust, it won't be helping. It could be heat. What normal usage causes 60c temps? games?
EDIT: I took the PSU off and the cables as well and put them back in and it works, I was pushing down the case cover but it doesn't boot off, I will still buy a new PSU in case but it works for now.
I am quite literally playing drums on the case and no shut downs! I even took the case off and pushed the PSU and it still works! Fixed.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Please edit language, this is a family forum.

Event 41 can be from any unexpected shutdown, and often points towards a failing PSU. I would mention that temps can cause a thermal shutdown as well, and would come up as a (41) too. I do see you mention temps don't seem to be out of control or anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
event 41 is a reaction, not a cause. Its result of a report run by windows at startup, if it finds it was shut down unexpectedly, it creates that event.

clean out all the dust, it won't be helping. It could be heat. What normal usage causes 60c temps? games?

Apr 18, 2023

EDIT: I took the PSU off and the cables as well and put them back in and it works, I was pushing down the case cover but it doesn't boot off, I will still buy a new PSU in case but it works for now.
I am quite literally playing drums on the case and no shut downs! I even took the case off and pushed the PSU and it still works! Fixed.

Last edited:
Solution