[SOLVED] Kernel Power errors - Ryzen 7 5800X

Jan 9, 2022
Hi. I have a question regarding my CPU errors. Basicly, my PC works fine under no stress, like going through internet, watching moveis etc. However when CPU goes to boost, in games (some are really old ones), after few minutes it shuts itself down, and i can see blue screen, and Kernel Power related errors in reports. Ive discovered that when i regulate my CPU to not go higher than 1,55v, it is working properly, all the time - temps are fine, and works properly. When i forget to turn on thath function in Ryzen Master, it always ends in shutdown. Ive send this message to AMD support, and they asked me for specs of my PC and want me do send them the CPU for warranty, however im not entierly sure that this is pure CPU fault, maby mothrboard or PSU. I really dont want to send CPU to AMD and after a month without PC find out that this was other thing. Can you help me in any way? What to test, what to do more, or shoud i just send my CPU for warranty? Thanks in advance.
My specs are:

Motherboard & its BIOS version: My motherboard is Gigabyte Aorus x570 - in version F36e (had older version at the time of mounting CPU, compatible with AMD 5000 series, but now i have newest and it doesnt change anything)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE LHR 8GB GDDR6

RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16

Storage: Kingston 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe A2000

PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L3 700W 80 Plus Bronze

and ofc CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

Solution
Hi. I have a question regarding my CPU errors. Basicly, my PC works fine under no stress, like going through internet, watching moveis etc. However when CPU goes to boost, in games (some are really old ones), after few minutes it shuts itself down, and i can see blue screen, and Kernel Power related errors in reports. Ive discovered that when i regulate my CPU to not go higher than 1,55v, it is working properly, all the time - temps are fine, and works properly. When i forget to turn on thath function in Ryzen Master, it always ends in shutdown. Ive send this message to AMD support, and they asked me for specs of my PC and want me do send them the CPU for warranty, however im not entierly sure that this is pure CPU fault, maby...
Hi. I have a question regarding my CPU errors. Basicly, my PC works fine under no stress, like going through internet, watching moveis etc. However when CPU goes to boost, in games (some are really old ones), after few minutes it shuts itself down, and i can see blue screen, and Kernel Power related errors in reports. Ive discovered that when i regulate my CPU to not go higher than 1,55v, it is working properly, all the time - temps are fine, and works properly. When i forget to turn on thath function in Ryzen Master, it always ends in shutdown. Ive send this message to AMD support, and they asked me for specs of my PC and want me do send them the CPU for warranty, however im not entierly sure that this is pure CPU fault, maby mothrboard or PSU. I really dont want to send CPU to AMD and after a month without PC find out that this was other thing. Can you help me in any way? What to test, what to do more, or shoud i just send my CPU for warranty? Thanks in advance.
My specs are:

Motherboard & its BIOS version: My motherboard is Gigabyte Aorus x570 - in version F36e (had older version at the time of mounting CPU, compatible with AMD 5000 series, but now i have newest and it doesnt change anything)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti EAGLE LHR 8GB GDDR6

RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16

Storage: Kingston 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe A2000

PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L3 700W 80 Plus Bronze

and ofc CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
It truly should never go above 1.55V since that's the maximum factory VID (according to AMD). If it's going above that it's got to be because the motherboard is 'pushing' it even though the CPU is calling for something else.

Actually, it shouldn't go above 1.50V in stock settings but sometimes does, usually only when very cool as after a first-of-day startup. At least according to Robert Halleck (AMD).

Reset CMOS...remove the power cord then remove the coin cell battery, then short the two CMOS Reset pins (look in your manual).

You should do this any time you update BIOS or change hardware items too.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 9, 2022
It truly should never go above 1.55V since that's the maximum factory VID (according to AMD). If it's going above that it's got to be because the motherboard is 'pushing' it even though the CPU is calling for something else.

Actually, it shouldn't go above 1.50V in stock settings but sometimes does, usually only when very cool as after a first-of-day startup. At least according to Robert Halleck (AMD).

Reset CMOS...remove the power cord then remove the coin cell battery, then short the two CMOS Reset pins (look in your manual).

You should do this any time you update BIOS or change hardware items too.

Yes, im aware that processor shoudn't run above some voltage, but AMD states that something is not right in my disscusion with tem, and ive already tried reseting BIOS when i installed CPU second time. Also i would like to try some other CPU on my motheboard, or another motherboard to my CPU and cooling, but as you guess im not able to right now. However, thanks for answer, You've confirmed what i thought. Ive also read that so called "stable voltage" for ryzen 5 5800 on 24h\day work is 1,35, so in Ryzen Master ive chosen "precission boost overdrive" so it gives more power to CPU on big workloads. Still, it does not go up to 4,7ghz advetrised in AMD 7 5800X boost, even whetn 1,55v is appiled

Yes, im aware that processor shoudn't run above some voltage, but AMD states that something is not right in my disscusion with tem, and ive already tried reseting BIOS when i installed CPU second time. Also i would like to try some other CPU on my motheboard, or another motherboard to my CPU and cooling, but as you guess im not able to right now. However, thanks for answer, You've confirmed what i thought. Ive also read that so called "stable voltage" for ryzen 5 5800 on 24h\day work is 1,35, so in Ryzen Master ive chosen "precission boost overdrive" so it gives more power to CPU on big workloads. Still, it does not go up to 4,7ghz advetrised in AMD 7 5800X boost, even whetn 1,55v is appiled
Be sure to leave voltage in AUTO.

The benefits you're expecting from PBO come from also using the Curve Optimizer with Ryzen 5000.

Last edited: