Kernel-Power event id-41 task category-63

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
wondering if anyone can help me fix diagnose what's causing this? I've had BSOD stop codes such as; REFERENCE_BY_POINTER, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: ks.sys), SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (what failed: win32kfull.sys), IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_POOL_HEADER, REFERENCE_BY_POINTER again, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: e22w7x64.sys), SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: nvlddmkm.sys), KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

These are just all the ones I were present for (meaning I was actually using my pc at the time of the crash and saw the codes). In the event viewer/system log thing they all say kernel-power event id-41 task category-63. I've tried to stop these crashes by; replacing psu, replacing current os drive with new drive+fresh copy/installation of windows 10.

This is all of the information I know of to provide, but am able to provide more detailed information regarding anything necessary to help diagnose the root cause of these crashes. please help :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
Event 41 isn't anything to do with PSU. When windows starts it runs a report to see if it was closed correctly the previous time, if it finds it wasn't it creates event 41. Its a symptom, not a cause. If PC crashes, you get an event 41 when you start PC.

what are the specs of the PC?

e22w7x64.sys is part of the Killer Ethernet drivers (they named them right for sure)
nvlddmkm.sys is part of the Nvidia Display drivers - try this: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
ks.sys seems to be skype

can you download and run whocrashed - it will create a summary of the errors and might show us more details

Copy/paste results in here and I see what I can do :)

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for the reply Colif!

I'm currently running memtest86 on the system in question, it's been going for very close to 4 hours now. So far 1 pass and 0 errors. I will be sure to run whocrashed as soon as the memtest hits about 5 or 6 passes (that should be enough to indicate no faulty ram, surely). The system specs are:

- CPU: i7 4790K
- CPU COOLER: Corsair H110i
- RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FRK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Red <---- 2 of these for a total of 32gb, 8gb per stick
- MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97-Gaming 5 Motherboard with latest BIOS version, according to msi live update 6
- GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti
- PSU: Corsair RM850i 80Plus Gold 850W Modular Power Supply
- OS/BOOT DRIVE: is a Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5in SSD

STORAGE:
- Old OS drive (pre-fresh windows 10 isntallation) was I believe an intel 250gb 2.5in SSD, I'm unable to find out exactly which one due to memtest running on the system at the moment sorry. This SSD has been reformatted after the fresh install of windows 10 on the MX300 SSD, and is now being used as to store games.
- Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB 2.5in SSD also being used for extra storage.
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001. I think there might be 2 of these in the system, can't remember. (no idea why I have so much storage, sorry)

Thanks again for the reply :)

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
I've just had a look at my motherboard's page on MSI's website. According to the motherboard's page, it doesn't support the ram that I currently have installed. Could this be the problem?

Motherboard's page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#support-mem

Memory installed: Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FRK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Red x 2 (for a total of 4-8gb sticks = 32gb of ram)

I mean the pc still turns on, and currently the memtest86 test has been running for 24 hours and 50 minutes, with 4 passes and 0 errors so far. Not sure if this helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure, the listings for ram on motherboard sites doesn't always contain every memory stick it can run.
When you say you ran MSI live update on BIOS, did you check drivers at same time?

If you post the who crashed summary we can see what it has to say, as most of the errors could be driver related still.

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

Yeah it checked everything, the only thing it said I could download that I didn't already have were a bunch of utility stuff like MSI Gaming App and Command Center. It sucks but I still am unable to do run whocrashed yet due to the memtest86 test still running, currently 27 hours in with 4 passes and 0 errors, about to hit 5 passes. I'll make sure to do it as soon as memtest86 is done. It should be noted that the only errors that have popped up since the fresh windows 10 isntallation are the first 3 listed in the OP.

Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide any actual helpful information at this time, but I'll be sure to do so in about 24 hours (whocrashed summary).

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

yeah I won't be surprised either, but according to https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14201-memtest86-test-ram.html, in order to get conclusive results it is best to run a test session with at least 8 consecutive passes. I guess I'm just trying to be thorough with this because I've done heaps of full driver re-updates but have done no RAM error checking. Will update this thread once I've got the whocrashed summary :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
So as to not waste anymore time tomorrow (not that I am saying memtest is a waste, but so you don't have to wait too much longer). Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone else with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

The above assumes you on win 10? otherwise you can find similar steps here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

the dump files will reveal a lot more than who crashed but I can't read dumps and who crashed allows those of us who can't to at least help;

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

Crash Dump Analysis

memtest ran for 8 consecutive passes, so I was able to run whocrashed. Here's the summary :)

Also, I ran MSI live update again and it said that the only motherboard driver I don't have installed/updated is Realtek HD Audio Drivers. So I will install that but I don't think that is the cause of my problems.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ID422_ty5hT05jaDhuNm9INUU <- 1st one in the minidump folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ID422_ty5hYU5IWE5jNzVZMGc <- 2nd one in the minidump folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ID422_ty5hNXpaOUcwWXd5NVE <- 3rd one in the minidump folder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 25/01/2017 7:33:31 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012517-8796-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x18 (0x0, 0xFFFFE38823F677D0, 0x2, 0xFFFFFFFF00002DDC)
Error: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 25/01/2017 7:33:31 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x18 (0x0, 0xFFFFE38823F677D0, 0x2, 0xFFFFFFFF00002DDC)
Error: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
Bug check description: This indicates that the reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 22/01/2017 12:55:26 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012217-6718-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x9A, 0x44F797, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.

On Fri 20/01/2017 1:43:29 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012017-8671-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF803BCC37D90, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803BC151AEA)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
013117-5671-01.dmp - Google Drive another dump.

whocrashed:

On Tue 31/01/2017 5:50:55 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013117-5671-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x1253)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8060EB81253, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
intelppm.sys is the driver for the intel processor, also see processor.sys << i don't know why this would be creating an error if MSI shows you have latest driver for motherboard. I haven't seen it cause errors before, I would suspect KIller Ethernet drivers but as the latest on the MSI site are newer than the latest on this site I have to assume they same version

Since no one appears to be reading the dump files for you, I would follow the posting instructions on this forum and ask them as they generally have more people around who can read them for you. Sorry I couldn't assist more.

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

All good Colif, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply! :) I posted on the forums you linked, and was told that there's nothing definitive in my dump files :(

I'm just going to have to live with the crashes I guess.

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
On Thu 2/02/2017 6:12:19 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020217-5859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: bwcw10x64.sys (0xFFFFF8006D0B9130)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF8006D0B9130, 0x0, 0x4F4E4558)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\bwcw10x64.sys
product: Killer Bandwidth Control
company: Rivet Networks, LLC.
description: Killer Bandwidth Control Filter Driver
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: bwcw10x64.sys (Killer Bandwidth Control Filter Driver, Rivet Networks, LLC.).
Google query: Rivet Networks, LLC. DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

After doing the driver verifier thing (and restarting my pc so that it can take effect) my pc was in a BSOD loop. It blue screened 3 times and displayed 'DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION' each time. It did not specify a specific driver on any of the BSODS. My pc actually had to be restored so that I could continue to use it, and whocrashed only shows 1 crash report. Guessing they were all caused by the same thing maybe?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ID422_ty5hT1RyZmdSV18tY00 <--- dump file after running driver verifier

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
according to that whocrashed, I just downloaded 'Killer E2200/E2400 + Killer Wireless Suite' from http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads .

I then realised that I don't want the Killer Network program thingy that monitors my network usage etc. so I uninstalled that (which also uninstalled the drivers) and installed 'Killer Drivers Installation - 64bit' from http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/category/other-downloads.

Technically I downloaded and installed the 'Killer Drivers Installation - 64bit' while 'Killer E2200/E2400 + Killer Wireless Suite' was still installed, but hopefully that doesn't mess anything up. When I installed 'Killer E2200/E2400 + Killer Wireless Suite' I got a notification saying that my current drivers were out of date and were going to be deleted. But when I installed 'Killer Drivers Installation - 64bit', I did not get the same message so I'm assuming the driver versions from 'Killer E2200/E2400 + Killer Wireless Suite' and 'Killer Drivers Installation - 64bit' are the same, and that both are more recent that what I previously had on my system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the only errors you get after fixing killer are driver verifer errors with no file name, When the problem has been fixed be sure to turn off verifier by typing verifier /reset from an elevated command prompt, or you will keep getting the errorrs

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

The first part of what you said doesn't make sense to me, sorry! I haven't ran driver verifier again after running driver verifier and getting a BSOD loop which caused the system to load from a restore point. I'll run it now to see if the error code changes (hopefully meaning the killer network thing is fixed?)

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
On Thu 2/02/2017 11:48:56 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020217-4921-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: lgbusenum.sys (LGBusEnum+0x1F0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2004, 0xFFFFB98408E38BF8, 0xFFFFF80A579F01F0, 0xFFFF8E808874D0F8)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\lgbusenum.sys
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: lgbusenum.sys .
Google query: lgbusenum.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

okay so the driver changed from killer network to logitech. googling it basically leads me to believe it's my Logitech Gaming software for my logitech g430 headset and logitech g502 mouse. Going to uninstall it and reinstall the latest version and run driver verifier again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i use lgs, I wonder if they ever make it scale with display settings as on 4k its really hard to read << way off topic :)

we getting there slowly, even if you doing all the work. I have never had to use it myself so I have to rely on the wiki.

Comedy112

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017

okay so it's still crashing instantly when i run the driver verifier. same driver is causing it apparently, still the lgs. I'm going to look on the internet for a version that was rolled out early august last year. Will come back with positive results hopefully