Question Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task Category: (63)

Cjparra

Commendable
Nov 9, 2020
Hello, I’ve been dealing with this Critical error for quite some time now. The issue only happens when I’m gaming and at completely random times. Sometimes I’ll go weeks without getting any, and sometimes I’ll get four in one day like I did the other day, which finally prompted me to create this post. The error sends me straight to a BSOD and reads WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR but other than that I’ve had a hard time diagnosing the problem because a minidump file is not being made upon each crash even though I have taken all the proper procedures to make sure one is created. Other than that it feels like I’ve tried everything. I upgraded my power supply from a 650w-750w PSU, I made sure my temps were staying at healthy levels while gaming, I checked for any corrupt system files, I made sure my bios was up to date, and I ran the memory diagnostic and found nothing wrong. I even tried to recreate the problem by using Cinebench and Heaven benchmark but had no luck with either of them. I’m pretty much at my wit's end trying to solve this problem as I’ve had it for over a year now and am close to just rebuilding my PC from the ground up. Please help! Below I’ve listed my system specs as well as the log in event viewer in case anyone is curious.

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
16GB ram
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD
Corsair RM Series™ RM750 — 750 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU
NZXT Z73 AIO

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/28/2023 12:21:53 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-GDGLG5L
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-28T19:21:53.5744658Z" />
<EventRecordID>164231</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-GDGLG5L</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">292</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x10</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Other than BIOS, you mentioned is updated, are also all drivers updated? Other than that, one option to check the RAM is also with Memtest86+ (or Memtest86), which is a bit better than the Windows tool. And the CPU can be checked e.g. with Prime95, basically running a stress test while using additional software to check the temperature - a step you may not need if you already checked on that properly, but depending on how you checked, you may not have looked at the temperature of the peak performance of the CPU (which, if too much, would shut down the system), and you can see that better with doing a stress test and using software to look at the temperature.

Cjparra

Commendable
Nov 9, 2020
Other than BIOS, you mentioned is updated, are also all drivers updated? Other than that, one option to check the RAM is also with Memtest86+ (or Memtest86), which is a bit better than the Windows tool. And the CPU can be checked e.g. with Prime95, basically running a stress test while using additional software to check the temperature - a step you may not need if you already checked on that properly, but depending on how you checked, you may not have looked at the temperature of the peak performance of the CPU (which, if too much, would shut down the system), and you can see that better with doing a stress test and using software to look at the temperature.
What is the best way to update my drivers? Do you think Memtest could pick up something the Windows tool couldn't? I did stress test my CPU while watching temps and didn't notice anything wrong and I'm pretty sure it was running at peak performance. I'm not even sure the problem always happens when the CPU is running at peak performance because just last night it happened when I tried playing Rainbow Six Seige. It crashed 3 times, two of which happened before I even got into a game.

My RAM is the Corsair Vengeance Pro, the SKU is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16. And yes I made sure my Motherboard bios is up to date.

And what's the version number?

e42corsair_modelsticker.jpg.54d6157e4368d400e741be10eedc7357.jpg

If the particular SKU includes the version number is not on the supportlist of the motherboard, it's not running very well together.

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">292</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x10</Data>
bugcheck 292 (decimal) = 0x124 (hex) = whea uncorrectable error
parameter 1 = 0x10 = device driver error source

that means driver lost contact with hardware

either there is defective hardware (overclock maybe) or driver needs to be replaced

look in eventviever if there arent any warnings around...like volmgr errors or something

Cjparra

Commendable
Nov 9, 2020
bugcheck 292 (decimal) = 0x124 (hex) = whea uncorrectable error
parameter 1 = 0x10 = device driver error source

that means driver lost contact with hardware

either there is defective hardware (overclock maybe) or driver needs to be replaced

look in eventviever if there arent any warnings around...like volmgr errors or something
It looks like there is a volmgr error right before every kernel power error. What does that mean?

TRENDING THREADS