[SOLVED] KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION loop

malik11111

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Hello, I'll appreciate any help with this.

I installed more RAM this morning on my W10 pro machine. I upgraded from 2x8GB to 4x8GB in total. After installation, I got some different BSoDs after being logged on for a minute or two, until it finally settled on KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION, and now it's stuck on that. I can no longer log on.

Things I've tried:
•Any boot gets this BSoD, whether it be any safe mode or normal boot, so I'm stuck in the recovery environment.
•Start-up repair "couldn't repair your PC".
•All System restore "failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point", error 0x8007007e.
•Uninstalling updates "ran into a problem and won't be able to uninstall the latest feature/quality update of Windows".
•sfc /scannow completes but then gives "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".
•dism /online /cleanup-image /restore health gives "Error: 50, DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option".
•I tried changing RAM slots, swapping between the new and old RAM.
•Unfortunately, even if I take out the new RAM and set up everything to exactly how it was before installing the new RAM, the error persists. In other words, I feel like the new RAM corrupted my old RAM.

My motherboard is MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, and I installed 2x8GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I've had these since about December 2018 and they worked fine. I bought the exact same ones from the same place so now I have 4 of them, but even so, I get this repeating blue screen.

Is this a point of no return or is there still something I can do? I'm at a loss, I'll be grateful for any advice. Thanks for reading this.

Solution
only error count you want is 0
the sticks might be fine.
why not just take the 2 ram sticks out that caused problem, since you weren't getting the BSOD before you put them in.

My motherboard is MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, and I installed 2x8GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I've had these since about December 2018 and they worked fine. I bought the exact same ones from the same place so now I have 4 of them,
you bought same model from same store, there is no guarantee the memory dies on the 4 sticks is exactly the same. Only ways to guarantee that is buy both sets from same shop at same time, or buy a set of 4 sticks.
Mar 24, 2021
Can be either software or hardware issue.
Go into BIOS see if all RAM shows correctly.
Try start in safe mode, if it works then rule out the hardware issue.
If you can go in safe mode you should be able to uninstall windows update or roll back some drivers (such as GPU or LAN card, these usually causes problems)
The last resort would be reinstall windows. If it's software issue then that's the ultimate solution.

malik11111

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Can be either software or hardware issue.
Go into BIOS see if all RAM shows correctly.
Try start in safe mode, if it works then rule out the hardware issue.
If you can go in safe mode you should be able to uninstall windows update or roll back some drivers (such as GPU or LAN card, these usually causes problems)
The last resort would be reinstall windows. If it's software issue then that's the ultimate solution.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, BIOS always (every time I swapped slots, etc.) showed the correct amount of memory. I also played around with XMP, and while the values were always correct, the blue screen still appeared.

Safe mode doesn't want to boot. It's as if I didn't boot into it at all, and the blue screen pops up before the login screen as usual.

I feel like a reinstall of the system would be the final option, but since the error occurred due to RAM (at least, I don't see why this wouldn't have been the cause) then I'm not confident the error will be gone with a new install of the system. I'm kind of worried whether the new RAM messed with the old RAM.

Hello, I'll appreciate any help with this.

I installed more RAM this morning on my W10 pro machine. I upgraded from 2x8GB to 4x8GB in total. After installation, I got some different BSoDs after being logged on for a minute or two, until it finally settled on KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION, and now it's stuck on that. I can no longer log on.

Things I've tried:
•Any boot gets this BSoD, whether it be any safe mode or normal boot, so I'm stuck in the recovery environment.
•Start-up repair "couldn't repair your PC".
•All System restore "failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point", error 0x8007007e.
•Uninstalling updates "ran into a problem and won't be able to uninstall the latest feature/quality update of Windows".
•sfc /scannow completes but then gives "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".
•dism /online /cleanup-image /restore health gives "Error: 50, DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option".
•I tried changing RAM slots, swapping between the new and old RAM.
•Unfortunately, even if I take out the new RAM and set up everything to exactly how it was before installing the new RAM, the error persists. In other words, I feel like the new RAM corrupted my old RAM.

My motherboard is MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, and I installed 2x8GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I've had these since about December 2018 and they worked fine. I bought the exact same ones from the same place so now I have 4 of them, but even so, I get this repeating blue screen.

Is this a point of no return or is there still something I can do? I'm at a loss, I'll be grateful for any advice. Thanks for reading this.
Go to a working pc and put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Verify it boots.

Put the flash stick in the busted machine.
Fit one stick of ram in the proper slot.....see the manual.
Boot the flash stick and let it run for an hour.....no errors allowed.
If it won't boot try a different ram stick.
Come back with the results.

malik11111

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Go to a working pc and put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Verify it boots.

Put the flash stick in the busted machine.
Fit one stick of ram in the proper slot.....see the manual.
Boot the flash stick and let it run for an hour.....no errors allowed.
If it won't boot try a different ram stick.
Come back with the results.

Thank you, I'll try that. I'll come back with the results.

Colif

Win 11 Master
only error count you want is 0
the sticks might be fine.
why not just take the 2 ram sticks out that caused problem, since you weren't getting the BSOD before you put them in.

My motherboard is MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, and I installed 2x8GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I've had these since about December 2018 and they worked fine. I bought the exact same ones from the same place so now I have 4 of them,
you bought same model from same store, there is no guarantee the memory dies on the 4 sticks is exactly the same. Only ways to guarantee that is buy both sets from same shop at same time, or buy a set of 4 sticks.

Solution

malik11111

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for the suggestions.
I had to perform a system reinstall. I just wasn't able to log on at all.

Here are the tests I ran with memtest86 once I got everything back:
-2 previous RAM only: no errors.
-2 new RAM only: no errors.
-All 4 sticks with no A-XMP: no errors.
-All 4 sticks with A-XMP at (advertised speed of) 3200mhz: errors.

Additionally I logged on with all 4 stick with no XMP and there weren't any problems; BSoDs started once XMP was enabled. I also ran mdsched.exe twice and got errors, but couldn't check results as the system crashed completely it seemed (the desktop was stuck, flashing). I used a system restore point to get a functional computer again.

Honestly I don't know what the problem may be. If the memtest didn't show errors with the new RAM then it seems they aren't the problem. I'm still not sure whether the problem is with the motherboard slots or the RAM or the XMP.

I might do that. Not sure I should commit to this road plan yet though since I'm still not certain what the cause of the problem is.