KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK FAILURE Windows 10

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Hi, i've been getting a BSOD recently when playing certain games, and some games straight up freeze. I'll also get the BSOD sometimes when i'm just using Google Chrome. Any solutions? I tried the SFC/scannow, malwarebytes scan, but to no avail. This has been happening at random intervals when playing games and is kind of upsetting since it's been happening more recently.

Solution
The method you used to update the Audio driver was correct however some service or maybe a corrupt driver is making a call that is causing the BSOD. I am unable to access you dump file to analyze however, it may provide a clue to which driver or service is causing this to happen.

To analyze your services you can access Services from the run command.
Press windows key + R and type "services.msc" without the quotation marks.

Here you can modify or stop a service that may be the culprit.
Do not disable essential services and If your unsure of a service then google the service for an explanation.

If all else fails, I suggest a windows repair.

These are your recovery options...
Hi Waloogy :)

Very often due to driver issues, DIMMs failing, or cooling system relating to your CPU or GPU.

Check your drivers are up to date and not corrupted.
Do a Memtest86+ from a USB stick to check your DIMMs.
A stress test can indicate if you have hardware or CPU heat related issues.
It can be one of many things and that includes the PSU.

check your motherboard vendors website and see if there is a updated audio driver. often the motherboard audio driver can have a conflict with the graphics card sound driver. Many people do not realize this because they don't have speakers in their monitor that gets their sound input from the video cable.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Is there a way I can do this without a USB stick? I'm afraid I don't have one of those. (Also, I tried searching for updates on all my driver software through Device Manager)

the device manager will only update drivers that are provided to microsoft.
many motherboards will have drivers that you have to get from the motherboard vendor website.
many motherboard vendors did not provide the driver updates until after windows 10 was shipped.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Sorry, i'm not very good with computers, is there a way I can find my motherboard manufacturer? All I really know is this is an HP laptop and here is my system summary/specs I got from msinfo32: http://imgur.com/a/XWmcD

guessing you have this system
HP 15-R210DX LOT74UA
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/7486447/model/7812758

(there are a lot of updated drivers you should install if it is the correct machine)
-----------
hp did not fill out the BIOS info correctly. They did not bother to put in the model name in the BIOS
baseboard model = not available
baseboard name = base board

you will have to try to figure out the model from something written on the machine, Maybe a model number on a sticker.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1XcA896mjrkSUJDdEtwUFpOWHM Found this on the back of my laptop. It's a little worn, but at least it's readable. Also, the link you sent me is the machine I have! The model is 15-r210dx, image attached if it will help.

yep, the below link should be the one you need.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Which ones should I install? Should I try them all just to be safe? (Thanks for the help by the way, it's been really useful, and hopefully not frustrating since I don't know much about computers.)

generally you would install the most current driver for each device.
the website is kind of strange because I see the same driver and date listed more than once.

in theory they all look up to date and should work. I would just run them and see if the system is ok

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Again, to clarify I am doing this correctly: Device Manager -> (Driver that needs updating, for example, Realtek High Definition Audio) -> Update Driver Software -> Browse my computer for driver software -> and then select the driver software I installed from the HP website? I just don't wanna screw anything up.

no you would run the setup program from the motherboard website.
you would only use the device manger method after the drivers were already placed on your machine.
or if the motherboard vendor gave microsoft a new copy of the drivers.

(there are some weird quirks that force you to use both methods together but just start with running the setup programs from the website)

the method you mentioned would be used for certain USB devices or some network drivers that the setup program did not automatically select as the default version.

when you do your method, often you will see many drivers that all look like the same driver but they are actually different versions. It is just poor programming of the user interface.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Alright, got it. Thanks! The download assistant thingy came with my HP laptop, so this step is easier. Will tell you how it runs after I install everything.

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

I played a game for around 30-45 minutes and didn't run into the issue! However, the bluescreen always happens unexpectedly and randomly at times, so I wont mark this as solved just yet. If the problem doesn't arise again for a while, i'll consider it solved!

Waloogy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1XcA896mjrkcG1PZzVOZHlpX0U Nope, it happened again :(. Is there a way to more accurately pinpoint the cause of this BSOD? This is really becoming an issue...

you would change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump.
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.howto31321.html

(make sure you have a pagefile.sys on your c:\ drive and there is plenty of space, the memory dump file can be large)

turn on driver verification: start cmd.exe as an admin (windows key+x then type A)
run the command
verifier.exe /standard /all
reboot your machine and wait for the next bugcheck.

when the system bugchecks, it will make a larger memory.dmp file: c:\windows\memory.dmp
put this file on a cloud server like microsoft oned drive, share the file as public and post a link.

Note: be sure to know how to get into safe mode (f8 or shift+f8) in case the system bugchecks during the boot process.
when done testing run (after you get the memory dump you want)
verifier.exe /reset
this will turn off the debug flags. your machine will run slowly until you turn of the driver verifier.

The method you used to update the Audio driver was correct however some service or maybe a corrupt driver is making a call that is causing the BSOD. I am unable to access you dump file to analyze however, it may provide a clue to which driver or service is causing this to happen.

To analyze your services you can access Services from the run command.
Press windows key + R and type "services.msc" without the quotation marks.

Here you can modify or stop a service that may be the culprit.
Do not disable essential services and If your unsure of a service then google the service for an explanation.

If all else fails, I suggest a windows repair.

These are your recovery options: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Here is the site to get your media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please report back.

Solution