KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE after RAM Upgrade

yohanf

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
My laptop is an Asus U36JC which came with 2 x 2GB PC3-10600 RAM sticks. I previously had Windows 7 on it and a about an year earlier I tried to upgrade the RAM with 1 x 8GB stick, but my laptop just refused to turn on. I would press the power button, and the light on the button would light up, but in about a few seconds it would go off without the screen turning on. I put it down to me buying the wrong RAM.

CPU - Intel i5 480M
Windows 10
Old RAM:- 2 x 2GB
New RAM:- 2 x 4GB

I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and clean installed it.

Fast forward today, I decided to get 2 x 4GB PC3-10600 RAM sticks. Put them in to the laptop and then I get a BSOD with a ":(" and it says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." The error is "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE". After a few restarts, when Windows boots up it mentions its starting an Automatic Repair, but I get the same screen. Thereafter it just continues in a boot loop until I decide to manually switch the laptop off with the power button.

I tried running the windows installation to repair Windows. I hit any key to boot from USB, the USB flashes for a little while and then I get the same BSOD as above.

When I put in the old RAM, Windows boots perfectly, though a few times it had to complete a repair.

I also noticed that each time I change the RAM, (Old -> New, New -> Old) the laptop always turns on, power button light turns on (but screen off), power button light goes off (basically laptop goes off), repeats and then it will start and get to the BIOS screen.

SOLUTIONS TRIED:-
BIOS:-
I can't change any aspect of the memory in the BIOS, but when I go to the BIOS, it mentions that the memory is 8192mb.

MEMTEST:-
I put the lastest memtest on a USB and tried to run it, but it runs for a few seconds and then the laptop turns off without warning and starts restarting. I started running memtest on the old RAM to check and it continues running without a problem until I quit it.

UBUNTU:-
Just as a test, I created an Ubuntu USB which starts without a problem into the Live Ubuntu on the OLD RAM. When I put the new RAM in, it does not start.

SCAN:-
Ran the command "/sfc scannow" in Windows 10 with the Old RAM.

ANTIVIRUS:-
Deleted Avast anti-virus as some pages mentioned this as a solution, though dont think this solves the problem.

SWITCHING RAM:-
Tried booting in with varying types of RAM. (Only one RAM stick (2GB), RAM sticks swapped etc.) - All dont work.

Would really appreciate any feedback or ideas as to what I can try. I like to believe that nothing is wrong with the RAM as it seems like my laptop for some reason does not like to accept any other RAM than the RAM it came with. Has anyone else come across this or know of a solution?

yohanf

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
I will probably take it back to the shop and try exchange it. But what's weird is my laptop never seems to work with new RAM or any RAM configuration different to what it came with.

I removed one of the old RAM sticks and kept one in (1 x 2GB) and I got the same error

yohanf

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Is there a way to change that? I checked the CPU and apparently 8GB is the maximum memory acorrding to Intel.

Lots of people have seemed to have changed the RAM for my laptop when I look at the forums, but no seems to have had this issue.

BSDs usually mean the RAM is bad. It could be a lot of things-so you may want to exchange for a different brand, but RAM failure right out of the package is common enough that I wouldn't try anything else until you can get a replacement.

The weird boot issues you experience when switching RAM are actually normal. The Bios has to adjust the amount or RAM and will typically reboot when it does so. You can expect some boot weirdness every time you change RAM.

Nadav_

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

I am facing the exact same issue. RAM is working perfectly in a windows 7 laptop I have. When I put it back to the other laptop with win10, I get the BSOD again. I am thinking of downgrading to win7.

sopobig

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
You can expect some boot weirdness every time you change RAM.
Ws4dXI

Nadav_

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Check your chipset. For me, the AH530 laptop can only support memory sticks with 16 "tablets" on them and not 8. This is a known limitation of the Intel® HM55 Express Chipset. So, nothing to do but replace the RAM.

pockets745

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Ok, I searched because this just happened to me! I had two 2 gig Kingston KVR DIMMs and 2 1gig DIMMS and wanted to have 8 gig, so I ordered a 4GIG matching KVR kit from mem4less.com. came in today, and I installed them. Instantly got the KERNEL message! pulled them, no message. So, I put one of my good ones in, and alternated with a DIMM from the new kit. Got the KERNEL message on the first one, but NOT the second one! THAT 4 gig setup WORKED!! Looks like one of the DIMMS they sent is BAD!!! Put my 6 gig back in, no problems. Hopefully they'll take this DIMM back and make it right.