[SOLVED] KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE BSOD

ostrieto17

Prominent
May 1, 2018
Today I booted up and had this BSOD however I did manage to get into the system, I am wondering what caused it, I searched around and people say drivers, ram etc the usual bsod causes, I did check with Whocrashed and here is what I have found which isn't much and I would like some help if you can help sort this out.
here are some specs if needed

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: MS-7B85, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor AMD8664, level: 23
24 logical processors, active mask: 16777215
RAM: 17127337984 bytes (16.0GB)
GPU: GTX 1070 EVGA FTW

On Thu 11/21/2019 12:23:01 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\112119-9984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1220)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x1D, 0xFFFFB501F93E25C0, 0xFFFFB501F93E2518, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Solution
can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the minidump files to another folder
upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here

whocrashed blames ntoskrnl for 90% of its errors. It is likely to be what crashed but it doesn't tell you why. Its most likely a driver, dump files might show us or at least they show us what drivers you are using.

ntoskrnl = windows kernel. It is what crashed but it never crashes unless its asked to do something it cannot.

I could guess its the Nvidia drivers if you have the latest, or even recent ones.

Colif

Win 11 Master

whocrashed blames ntoskrnl for 90% of its errors. It is likely to be what crashed but it doesn't tell you why. Its most likely a driver, dump files might show us or at least they show us what drivers you are using.

ntoskrnl = windows kernel. It is what crashed but it never crashes unless its asked to do something it cannot.

I could guess its the Nvidia drivers if you have the latest, or even recent ones.

Solution

ostrieto17

Prominent
May 1, 2018

Thank you, here is the link for the minidump https://www.mediafire.com/file/atn4vu5o3kf06xo/112119-9984-01.dmp/file

Last edited by a moderator:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/bx6v.html

File information:112119-9984-01.dmp (Nov 21 2019 - 05:23:01)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC
There is a BIOS update available for your system (1.B). You are using version 1.A. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: ostrieto17

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you make PC is a good question as that software

WinI2C/DDC is a professional tool that allows you to control display devices in the Windows environment via the DDC/CI protocol. It allows you to send DDC/CI commands via the standard video cable (VGA or DVI) and control all display devices that support the DDC/CI protocol: CRT/LCD monitors, projectors, plasma panels, etc.
WinI2C/DDC library is compatible with Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Windows7/Windows8, it supports many types of video chips (nVidia, ATI, Intel, S3, SiS, Matrox, etc) and configurations with several monitors.

doesn't look like its for home use.

https://appuals.com/what-is-ddc-ci-and-how-to-use-it/

do you use a DVI or VGA connected monitor?

we can stop it by running autoruns and using it to stop the program running at startup. If any programs need the drivers, they can start them up though - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

ostrieto17

Prominent
May 1, 2018
Two questions:
  1. Was this Windows install from a previous build, or did you do a fresh install for this build?
  2. Did you manually download and install the drivers, or did you use a downloaded program to install the drivers for you?
I have updated twice since the original build via the windows update, currently holding out before updating to the lastest due to some issues with the sound I have heard of, I manually download the drivers using the mobo website and all the others depending on the hardware

ostrieto17

Prominent
May 1, 2018
Did you make PC is a good question as that software

doesn't look like its for home use.

https://appuals.com/what-is-ddc-ci-and-how-to-use-it/

do you use a DVI or VGA connected monitor?

we can stop it by running autoruns and using it to stop the program running at startup. If any programs need the drivers, they can start them up though - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
I use hdmi 2.0 + displayport for my monitors, the pc is home use i have no projectors that require the above what exactly is it called in the autostart because everything i have there is disabled except some prefered ones.

I have updated twice since the original build via the windows update, currently holding out before updating to the lastest due to some issues with the sound I have heard of, I manually download the drivers using the mobo website and all the others depending on the hardware
Good on both counts. The dump tool used above showed some drivers that didn't belong, but I believe they are just standard Windows pre-installed drivers that were not actually in use by the system.

From an elevated command prompt, run: sfc /scannow. Let us know if it finds anything it needs to fix.

If that comes back all good, run either the memory diagnostic tool, or download Memtest to a flash drive and run that.