Kernelbase.dll Gaming and Audio Issues

zolo43

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Ok so this is going to be a long thread, but I hope that somebody can give me some advice. I am pretty experienced with computers and this is my new gaming rig that I am on. The specs are:
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
MB: Asus Maximus Hero Alpha VIII
Graphics: MSI Nvidia 1080
All drivers have been checked and are up to date this was the first thing I did when the error started occuring.

Know about two days ago I started getting an error message when trying to load skyrim saying that the launcher failed to open. So i went to the event viewer and found this:

Faulting application name: SkyrimLauncher.exe, version: 1.3.22.0, time stamp: 0x54e5e9af
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.1198, time stamp: 0x5902845a
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000c93cf
Faulting process id: 0xa78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2dbd1f7dad7b0
Faulting application path: Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimLauncher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 74b67d8c-cb25-42a4-a3f1-695c7bba769f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also searched through my event log some more and found that I was getting the same error on my realtek audio but I'm not having any issues there. I went through the usual steps using sfc and found no corrupt files for my OS. I also deleted everything that deals with skyrim on my pc and only re-installed the game and I still received the error. Can anyone offer some advice here? Thanks

Solution
So I've came up with a few ideas that might help you.

Idea 1:
So Skyrim worked in the new profile... thats great. That means you likely have a corrupted profile. What you can do is begin using the new profile, and copy all of your data from the old profile over to your new profile. (Be sure that you set your new profile up as an Admin account if you are the only user). [Here is more info] for Win 7 but it should be basically the same process in Win 10. If you can't figure it out, let me know (here) and we'll drag Colif in here to help us (kicking and screaming), I'm pretty sure that he's had to do this before.

Idea 2:
I've done some research on the DLL entry point problem and I've seen others who have ran SFC...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I have few ideas that you can try. I got the ideas from here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/481115363852488436/

1. Try disabling your anti-virus. Simple thing to do, but many people don't think of it. AVAST use to crash my games. I uninstalled it.
2. Register the DLL file with Windows. Command prompt (as admin) and type regsvr32 KernelBase.dll then reboot.
3. This one is a pain. Create a new user account and try the game from there. If it works, you likely have a corrupted profile which can cause the KernelBase.dll file error.

You might have already seen this page but I'll link to it anyway: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/certain-apps-keep-crashing-instantly-upon-opening/5c2f0c16-457b-4055-9d48-89cb78168f54

zolo43

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Thanks for the help here I tried disabling anti-virus and it did nothing. I ment to say in my first post that when I go to register the
in the command promt i get the kernelbase.dll was loading but the entry point was not found message. The sfc scannow says that no file issues were found though any ideas? I also just tried the creating a new user profile and when I did that skyrim worked. What should i do?

zolo43

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Thanks for the help here I tried disabling anti-virus and it did nothing. I ment to say in my first post that when I go to register the
in the command promt i get the kernelbase.dll was loading but the entry point was not found message. The sfc scannow says that no file issues were found though any ideas? I also just tried the creating a new user profile and when I did that skyrim worked. What should i do?

gardenman

Splendid
So I've came up with a few ideas that might help you.

Idea 1:
So Skyrim worked in the new profile... thats great. That means you likely have a corrupted profile. What you can do is begin using the new profile, and copy all of your data from the old profile over to your new profile. (Be sure that you set your new profile up as an Admin account if you are the only user). [Here is more info] for Win 7 but it should be basically the same process in Win 10. If you can't figure it out, let me know (here) and we'll drag Colif in here to help us (kicking and screaming), I'm pretty sure that he's had to do this before.

Idea 2:
I've done some research on the DLL entry point problem and I've seen others who have ran SFC and had NO errors, but were unable to register a DLL file. It apparently was [because of their registry was messed up], and had nothing to do with the actual DLL files itself. That explains why SFC works. So the question is, which registry entries are messed up and how can you easily fix it? I'm pretty sure the registry entry is also related to your user account, after all it makes sense since the game works in another account. I couldn't find the registry entries talked about on that page on my system.

If you have System Restore turned on and have a restore point from a while back, it may help. I personally hate doing System Restores on my computers, but it's something you may want to consider. This may fix the registry entries that are causing the problem. If System Restore is not turned on, now would be a good time to turn it on in case something happens later on.

Idea 3:
I have no idea if this will work or not: https://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/246531-appcrash-kernelbase-dll-error-4.html

I hope one of those help. Let me know what happens.

Solution