[SOLVED] Key transfer to new motherboard

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hi
I have a PC with windows 10 Pro. The key is retail ( information obtained through PowerShell ). To change the motherboard, am I required to create a Microsoft account to transfer the key to the new motherboard? If so, how do I activate the key on the new motherboard? Is it by logging into the operating system through the Microsoft account? And if I create the account, am I obliged to always log in through the account in the future, to be able to use the operating system, or can I only use a local offline account? I currently do not have a Microsoft account, only a local account, because I find it boring and tedious, having to always type account + password, and I don't want Microsoft to know more about my life. The license is not marked as digital and was purchased on a website.
I would appreciate your information.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Solution

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Very confusing what Microsoft says.
So, as I understand it, I should just type the key when installing the operating system on the new motherboard, in offline mode. But in that case I also ask: if I have a retail key, why do I have to link to the Microsoft account with my retail license, as Microsoft says? And why do I have to change my Key on the new motherboard? I see no reason for that, unless Micosoft intends to force me to create an account!

USAFRet

Titan
Very confusing what Microsoft says.
So, as I understand it, I should just type the key when installing the operating system on the new motherboard, in offline mode. But in that case I also ask: if I have a retail key, why do I have to link to the Microsoft account with my retail license, as Microsoft says? And why do I have to change my Key on the new motherboard? I see no reason for that, unless Micosoft intends to force me to create an account!
If you have an actual Retail license key that you purchased, apply it to the new install.

At some point, however, it WILL need to contact home base and validate itself.
An MS account may or may not be needed, but they will tell you to make one and link it, just because that is what they want you to do.

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
If you have an actual Retail license key that you purchased, apply it to the new install.

At some point, however, it WILL need to contact home base and validate itself.
An MS account may or may not be needed, but they will tell you to make one and link it, just because that is what they want you to do.

Ok. I understand the need of the system to "call" home to activate the license. No problem about that. But the information on the Microsoft website is unclear about activation. But I think I´ve understand.

Another question.
I have another PC with Windows 10 home. The key came through a Windows 7 home upgrade that I had on the motherboard. In this case, as I understand it, the key will "die" with this motherboard, right? Or can I also transfer it? It appears as a digital license with no connection to any Microsoft account.

USAFRet

Titan
Another question.
I have another PC with Windows 10 home. The key came through a Windows 7 home upgrade that I had on the motherboard. In this case, as I understand it, the key will "die" with this motherboard, right? Or can I also transfer it? It appears as a digital license with no connection to any Microsoft account.
Link it to a MS account, and you can almost certainly transfer it to different hardware.
It is a Digital Entitlement. There is no real "key".
Without that linkage to an account, there is no way to tell the activation servers you wish it to be on different hardware.

So yeah, you're gonna need an account at MS.
However! This does not have to be "inet@microsoft.com".
It an be literally any email address and pwd. I've used a gmail address for this for well over a decade.

Create an account that you will never or rarely use, and use that.
It does NOT need to be used to log into the system all the time. Mine aren't.

Inet

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Link it to a MS account, and you can almost certainly transfer it to different hardware.
It is a Digital Entitlement. There is no real "key".
Without that linkage to an account, there is no way to tell the activation servers you wish it to be on different hardware.

So yeah, you're gonna need an account at MS.
However! This does not have to be "inet@microsoft.com".
It an be literally any email address and pwd. I've used a gmail address for this for well over a decade.

Create an account that you will never or rarely use, and use that.
It does NOT need to be used to log into the system all the time. Mine aren't.

:(
Seriously?!!! Well ... unfortunately I will have to create an account. Ok. No problem. I have several gmail accounts, for different situations. My reluctance to create an account, is to avoid the need to type the codes, whenever I turn on the computer (but I already realized that it is not necessary), but the main reason, above all, was to avoid Microsoft spying what I surf on the web, as Google does on android phones through the associated gmail account.
Thank you for your kindness

USAFRet

Titan
As said above...all my systems are local accounts. 1 Standard user and 1 Admin user. Standard user is for every day activities, like now.
Admin is for Admin stuff.

I do NOT log in with the account associated to MS, unless I need something from MS. Like messing with the license, or if I were to want something from the MS store (which hasn't happened yet).

TRENDING THREADS