Keyboard Acting as if it was PS/2 and not Plug-and-Play

Haggurd

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hello all, I hope this is in the correct location.

I have noticed recently that if I unplug my USB keyboard and then plug it back in the computer can not detect it. As in ANY keyboard will no longer be detected. Keyboard lights up, function within the keyboard like LEDs can be controlled, it simply has no input over the computer. Restart the system and keyboard functions as normal.

To me it is as thought the keyboard is acting as a PS/2 and not a USB in that the PC must be restarted.

I have tested this in different USB ports, different keyboards, etc. I even used a trackpad/keyboard combo and the mouse portion worked on plugging the device in, but the keyboard did not. (This makes me think it is how windows is interpreting the signals and not a hardware thing as the mouse pad portion on the same device functioned fine.)

This is only limited to keyboard input. I have all USB ports set to do not power off, drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled, power mode does not turn USB ports/devices off, etc.

Any advice? ( I know the simple answer is not to unplug the keyboard, but this does happen sometimes and restarting is frustrating.)

System is a custom build Windows 7 64bit machine and this keyboard/PC combo has been proven for approximately a year prior to this starting.

TL;DR: All keyboard function is suspended until restart if accidentally unplugged.

Solution
If the keyboard issue doesn't crop up even when in use after this reply, I suggest to leave it in place and forget about the issue. It's not normal to unplug a keyboard when cleaning. It's normal however to unplug it when the system is powered down.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Can you please state your full system's specs inclusive of your peripherals? If we knew all the peripherals you used to troubleshoot, then it'd help us further.
2| Perhaps you can try and make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?
3| Next in line would be to check if your chipset/USB drivers are in order. It's possible they might've ended up corrupt but a reinstall should fix that up.
3| Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Seeing that only the keyboard gets unplugged during work, indicates that the motherboard or your PSU is at fault(seemingly) but have you noticed when the keyboard ends up being disabled? e.g; after a certain period of time or under a specific load scenario?

Haggurd

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

1) System is a MSI Z97S motherboard, Evga G2 PSU, Intel 4690K, Cosair Vengence Ram, Gtx 970 GPU. Keyboard is a custom built mechanical, also teated with a KBP V60 keyboard as well as a logitech keyboard/touchpad combo.

2) BIOS was up to date last I knew. I will check once home.

3) Deleted and reinstalled drivers through device manager. Also reinstalled most recent package from MSI.

4) Windows 7 64 bit. Once any of the aforementioned keyboards are unplugged no other keyboard will create input if plugged in until the system is restarted. All USB ports are affected. If two keyboards are plugged in and one removed the second continues to work. Others may not be reinserted and if the second is removed it will also behave the same. So long as a keyboard has not been disconnected I can continue to plug in and have multiple working keyboards. Mice/Mics/Harddrives etc are not affected and hot swapping works. After a while with no activity this would also occur, turned off the USB sleep option in power management and have at least not seen this portion reoccur.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Lutfij

Titan
You're welcome!

When making sure your BIOS is up to date, do so by checking manually. MSI's live update has been known to make a mess of things. In fact it's always advised to do so manually as opposed to leaving the duty to a software.

Windows comes in a lot of flavors and limited number of 64bit variants, which variant do you have? Ultimate, Home Premium, Professional?

The question is why are you unplugging the boards? It reads to me like you either unplug them or that they mysteriously unplug themselves.

PSU's wattage? Ram's model/loadout? Make and model of GTX970 GPU?

Have you tried reinstalling OS to rule out a faulty installation? It'd also be good practice to recreate your installation media and try reinstallation to rule out a corrupt installer.

Haggurd

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

I will certainly try a reinstall. Did not even consider that to fix system files.

I can get full specs once home.

Unplugged keyboard initially while cleaning and that is when I discovered the problem. The rest is me being neurotic. Haha

Lutfij

Titan
If the keyboard issue doesn't crop up even when in use after this reply, I suggest to leave it in place and forget about the issue. It's not normal to unplug a keyboard when cleaning. It's normal however to unplug it when the system is powered down.

Solution

Haggurd

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

I'd agree with that. Thanks for the help!

Haggurd

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

Update: Found a registry backup that I had forgotten about from a few months back. Gave it a shot and the problem is resolved. I find it strange that the Windows Upgrade/Repair install did not fix the problem, but of well. Thanks again for all the help!

TRENDING THREADS