keyboard and mouse freeze alternate logins

Every other time I startup my computer, my keyboard and mouse don't work.
It is 100% consistent. I'm running XP SP2. I started having this problem
after I installed printer drivers for a new Canon printer. Removing the
drivers and doing a system restore did not correct it. I have also tried
disconnecting all of my usb devices to see if that made a difference, but it
didn't.

Any ideas?

I should also mention that I've checked for spyware and virus' and came up
clean...