Keyboard and mouse mafunction as if the ctrl key was stuck - even in bios and mu

mach8r

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
This isn't a keyboard problem so much. This problem persists even in the BIOS and on a second multi-boot OS.
Please help me. This problem has developed on several computers I have owned and I can't fix it. The keyboard and mouse behave as if the ctrl key is permanently depressed but it's not. I can't type without ctrl-key-functions executing and when I use the mouse it mutli-selects files and does other things I would expect as if I were holding the ctrl key. It's completely unusable. There are times when it will behave properly for a couple of seconds but this rarely happens and is unpredictable.
I have tried multiple keyboards with different connectors. I am using Windows 7 64bit but I have experienced the same problem with computers running XP and Vista in the past. My thoughts are that perhaps an external hard drive or other external device is physically damaging the computer. Or this may be a virus that I have transferred across multiple computers. The day before my problem started I plugged in a new WD My Book Essential 1TB external harddrive it forced me to run it's software before it would even appear as a harddrive on my computer. It might have caused the problem. But there were some Windows updates and a Firefox update too.
Thank you to everyone who contributes on Tom's.

mach8r

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
There is no keyboard software. Demons maybe. The fact that the issue appears in the BIOS and on multiple OS makes me think it couldn't be a software issue on just one of the installations. And since I used different keyboards it isn't a physical keyboard problem. I am good at trouble shooting but I can't fix this. I have spent many hours working on this over the years. I have had this happen on 4 other computers and I just ended up replacing them. I do love buying new computers but this one is/was still awesome.

Todd Melanson

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013

I found this articlew about keyboard ghosting after I had the same problem. Unfortunately, there is no solution. It is a hardware limitation. But read the article to get educated about it.

http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

Good luck.

Saigo

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I have the same problem with a constant keypress even in Bios mode and with various keyboards. Already started a thread for my particular issue but I wanted to mention that the problem is different from the issue called "ghosting" (mentioned above me) and has nothing to do with multiple key press limits.

Im glad that Mach seems to have fixed his issue with a driver wipe but so far, uninstalling keyboard with device manager and uninstalling driver through the properties dialogue yielded no improvement for me. I learned from you guys, however, that it must be something to do with drivers at the least.

If you have any more revelations on the issue, i welcome the input over at my thread so i dont hijack this one.. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the contributors here.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1682369/toshiba-satellite-constantly-pressing-key-repair.html#10848054

sskktestgirl

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
this is really annoying and was happening daily at least 2 times per day, the only way I could resolve was by rebooting, however I recently read a post recommending to press Ctrl with the "+" sign ..... which amazingly WORKED and resolved my issue THX!!! :bounce:

comeoncalmdown

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Start - All Programs - Accessories - Ease of Access - On-Screen Keyboard - press the Ctrl button on the physical keyboard, you will see the Ctrl button on the On-Screen Keyboard is no longer pressed. Problem is solved, at least for my case.

Fellwalker

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

Great idea. It showed that my scroll lock key was permanently pressed. (All I did was Windows Key, type"On" and press enter.)

TRENDING THREADS