[SOLVED] Keyboard and mouse not responding after using USB switch several times

rayven1lk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
I use the USB switch to switch my mouse and keyboard between my work laptop and home desktop.
After switching back and forth between both devices around 4 times, the keyboard and mouse stop functioning on my desktop.

Both peripherals are backlit, so you can tell they're still being powered, but my desktop just won't register anything.

I thought this may be an issue with the switch at first, but the weird part is it continues to work with the laptop without any issues. So it leads me to believe there is some setting on my desktop that's causing the issue and not so much a problem with the actual switch. Appreciate any help.

Solution
I think it could still be the switch.
If one side of the switch was going bad...I think it would still work on the laptop.
Double throw switches generally have two "throws".

One thing to try....try inserting and unplugging the keyboard and mouse into the desktop multiple times (like you would use the switch)....if the problem still occurs....you know it's the PC.
If one side of the switch was going bad...I think it would still work on the laptop.

One thing to try....try inserting and unplugging the keyboard and mouse into the desktop multiple times (like you would use the switch)....if the problem still occurs....you know it's the PC.

Solution

rayven1lk

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

try switching the cable with the laptop and the desktop?

Thanks for the suggestions

@rgd1101, I switched the ports for desktop and laptop on the switcher. The same issue still occurs on the desktop only.

@jay32267, I did try repeatedly plugging in directly to the desktop and the same issue occurs. Somehow the number of reconnections I can perform is limited on the desktop.