[SOLVED] Keyboard and Mouse not working after being unused for 5 minutes

SloLlo

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
So, there's been this issue that has been cropping up since the past week, where PC would not register any keyboard or mouse input, when the system was on and unused for more than 5 minutes. The mouse and keyboard themselves are working perfectly fine, but it's just that the peripherals stop working after about 5 minutes of idle time. I also tried connecting another mouse in the same state but that does no help either. I've done a soft-reset, a hard-reset and a complete reinstall of Windows on my PC, but to no avail. I then reasoned that the reason might be related to Windows itself, so I switched over to POP!_OS today, but the problem still persists.

My computer specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus H170-Pro
RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz
Processor: Intel i5-6400

Solution
The common factor is the PSU. And nearing 5 years of age means that the PSU is likely reaching its designed in EOL (End of life).

Keyboard/mouse drivers are a possibility but I would not expect that to happen in two OS's.

Plus if freezes are also occurring after the keyboard/mouse not being able to restart then that is another implication of the PSU.

Likely some component getting hot and then even hotter. And the PSU cannot provide the necessary voltage and/or wattage to get going again.

Are you able to borrow another known working PSU to test in your system?

Ralston18

Titan
If the problem persists over two OS's then I would suspect a power related problem. All the more so if the mouse and keyboard are working perfectly well on other computers.

Make and model: mouse, keyboard? Connectivity: wired (USB) or wireless (Bluetooth)?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disable all power saver/sleep/hibernation settings. Do not allow the mouse and keyboard to become inactive.

For Windows:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that are being captured after 5 minutes of the computer being unused.

Look in Task Scheduler - could be something there that disables the mouse and keyboard?

Not familiar with POP!_OS but check any trouble-shooting or error logs that it may provide.

My thought is a failing/faltering PSU.

SloLlo

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
If the problem persists over two OS's then I would suspect a power related problem. All the more so if the mouse and keyboard are working perfectly well on other computers.

Make and model: mouse, keyboard? Connectivity: wired (USB) or wireless (Bluetooth)?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disable all power saver/sleep/hibernation settings. Do not allow the mouse and keyboard to become inactive.

For Windows:

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that are being captured after 5 minutes of the computer being unused.

Look in Task Scheduler - could be something there that disables the mouse and keyboard?

Not familiar with POP!_OS but check any trouble-shooting or error logs that it may provide.

My thought is a failing/faltering PSU.

Mouse: HP M270 - USB Wired
Keyboard: Zebronics Zeb-Transformer-k - USB Wired
PSU - Thermaltake Litepower 450W Black Edition

I've used the system on POP!_OS a little more, for now and I've observed that if I keep using the mouse or the keyboard on any of the USB slots, it works fine, but as soon as it sit idle for about 5 minutes, these peripherals stop working. The PC continues to keep working after that till about 10 minutes after which that too freezes, but only sometimes.

I'll try looking into the error logs for POP!_OS, but if anybody familiar with such issues and its fixes in POP!_OS, could you please revert back to me?

P.S. The PSU is nearing about 5 years of age, if that is of any help

Ralston18

Titan
The common factor is the PSU. And nearing 5 years of age means that the PSU is likely reaching its designed in EOL (End of life).

Keyboard/mouse drivers are a possibility but I would not expect that to happen in two OS's.

Plus if freezes are also occurring after the keyboard/mouse not being able to restart then that is another implication of the PSU.

Likely some component getting hot and then even hotter. And the PSU cannot provide the necessary voltage and/or wattage to get going again.

Solution

SloLlo

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019

I shall try to get a way to somehow get different PSU to check out.

Meanwhile, can you suggest how can I get a detailed real-time analysis or a log of temperatures via some app or something which might be helpful to indicate any more anomalies present in the PC?