Keyboard and mouse not working after booting WIndows

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
Works in bios and also in the UEFI Windows recovery blue screen, but not when Windows is booted. This issue also occurs when booting into safe mode!

One interesting tidbit is that I got a PS/2 keyboard which DID work after Windows booted, but after I restarted it again not even that works anymore! That or the PS/2 mouse. Another interesting issue is that when I remove the dedicated graphics card and try booting Windows via the internal GPU it just freezes on the Windows 10 boot screen where the white dots are shifting in a circle.

Things I've tried:
- Resetting cmos
- Restoring bios to default
- Disabling fast boot
- Tried all of the USB settings in bios
- Used all USB ports
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse
- Removing all devices besides SSD which has my OS
- Booting into safe mode (KB/mouse still doesn't work here)
- A different power supply

I'm all out of ideas and have read tons of forum discussions about this same issue. Help?

The PC specs at hand:

- Gigabyte GTX 740
- AMD phenom x4 9550
- ASUS m3a78-em
- Inland 500W PSU
- 8GB DDR2 ram

I'm also able to access the command prompt and am able to edit registry files via a livecd, so if you know how I might be able to fix this issue through either method let me know.

Solution
Boot from the recovery disk and see if you can run any troubleshooters.

Go into Device Manager and see what you can find out about the mouse and keyboard.

And the USB drivers in general.

As for the SSD in another computer the key is figuring out what that "inaccessible boot device" really means. Suspect that maybe the boot process is again unable to find a keyboard and mouse.

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

I'm not sure if this method of booting with verbose post was correct because nothing happened when I restarted my PC, it just booted to Windows as normal. Here is what I followed:

Start > Run > Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and select from the list.
Find the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
You might want to export this as a backup first or note down the settings if there's already a "VerboseStatus" field. In most cases, it won't be there yet.
Right-click under that and create a New > DWORD Value.
Type VerboseStatus and double-click that new key, giving it the value data set to 1.
Next time you reboot, Windows will now give you verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages.

Also, the date and time between the bios and OS was the same. Thanks for the reply, btw.

Update: I learned that the settings aren't saving when I'm using the regedit in my Livecd. Since I'm unable to use my mouse and keyboard in Windows what is another way that can I boot into verbose?

Ralston18

Titan
There should be some POST options via your BIOS screens.

And the following link may help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32477/use-verbose-boot-messages-to-troubleshoot-windows-startup-problems/

Stay with the msconfig boot log option.

Not sure why the settings are not saving via regedit on Livecd. Probably best to leave the registry alone.

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

What post options should I be looking for in the bios boot screens? What do you mean by stay with the msconfig boot log option?

In regards to the registry changes not saving, that is happening even when I give myself the permissions. If you suggest that I not edit the registry how can I enable it to boot with verbose post?

Edit: I was able to get to check out this PC again and seen the "press tab to boot post" or whatever message on the bios boot screen, but unfortunately it didn't work / didn't do anything. :\

Ralston18

Titan
Look for some setting that may set up something referred to as "Fast POST". Turn that setting off or otherwise disable.

POST will present a "play by play" account of what the computer is doing during boot up. Doing so often increases the overall boot up time. So if the system is working normally, without problems, then that "play by play" is often turned off to reduce boot time.

The exact wording can and does vary within the BIOS configuration options.

Editing the registry is risky: always the risk of changing the wrong setting, entering an incorrect/invalid value, or making a typo.

Should not be any need to edit the registry and tinker with msconfig settings.

Pressing the correct key (e.g. F2, F10, Tab) while powering on the computer should take you into the BIOS settings. The specific key(s) and option(s) may appear on the monitor at power up.

Getting into BIOS can be tricky and you might have to keep tapping the applicable key to succeed. As you probably are already doing....

Check your system's motherboard documentation. There should be some information therein.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/HelpDesk_Manual/

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

Thank you, I was able to find "quick boot" and disabled it in the bios. Now when I press TAB to "display BIOS POST message", it loads up a screen where it gives me the details of the hardware and says "press ESC to boot" and has an 8 second timer. After that it just boots up as normal, but when I press ESC it takes longer to boot, so I'm guessing that is the proper thing to do. However, after it takes a long time to boot it doesn't do anything, it just boots to Windows as normal, and I don't get anything that describes what is going on play by play.

Also, one thing that I forgot to add is that when the PS/2 keyboard was working I was able to look into the device manager and noticed that all of the USB devices had the yellow symbol with the exclamation point. I'm sure the PS/2 device now has that too as that is no longer working. I'm not sure if there's some sort of autorun installation disc that can correct these drivers?

Thanks for the help so far, it's much appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
You are welcome. However I must admit that I am running out of ideas....

Read through the "details of the hardware". You may note something that is not correct or otherwise different than expected.

I have been googling some as well.

Did note the following link from within this forum:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3236062/usb-ports-stopped-working-windows-installing-intel-usb-drivers.html

Some of it you have already tried. My concern is that there is some corruption problem beyond just reinstalling drivers.

Do you happen to have made a bootable Windows 10 recovery disk or USB drive?

If you can boot from that and end up with an active mouse and keyboard then you may have more options available towards being able to fix things.

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

From what I can tell everything looks fine on that screen. I do have a bootable Windows 10 recovery disk and I am able to use the mouse and keyboard in it. What do you suggest?

Also, I read one of the solutions that was given in the link that you provided, and when I tried installing the SSD in another PC I would receive the following error when Windows tried to boot "inaccessible boot device." I read that it may be trying to boot from another drive, so I disconnected everything else and that didn't change anything.

Ralston18

Titan
Boot from the recovery disk and see if you can run any troubleshooters.

Go into Device Manager and see what you can find out about the mouse and keyboard.

And the USB drivers in general.

As for the SSD in another computer the key is figuring out what that "inaccessible boot device" really means. Suspect that maybe the boot process is again unable to find a keyboard and mouse.

Solution

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

I'm not able to go into the device manager anymore because anything I plug into the PS/2 port now no longer works either. I'm gonna give the recovery disk a shot.