Keyboard and mouse not working after i shutdown cpu

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hello. Thank you for stopping by and reading my post. My mouse and keyboard are working fine right now because i did a system restore on my computer. However, if i shut my computer down they will no longer work again. This is what happens. I can press F8 and get into my bios etc. But when i get to my login password screen my mouse and keyboard dont work. The light goes out under my mouse and my keyboard seems to be locked. I dont see my mouse courser either as it normally use to show up at the login password. Ive tested my mouse and keyboard on my other computer and it works fine. If i restart my computer it will work as well. Only when i shut down my computer they dont work. Right now i see on my shutdown button an exclamation mark saying it will update the computer then shutdown. Im thinking it might have to do with a update thats making my keyboard and mouse not work. It may be a virus making my computer to update but im not sure. I have a list of updates that need to be updated. Maybe theres a fake virus update in there? Below are the updates its asking me to update. If anyone out there has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2508272)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2497640)
Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2446710)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2491683)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2503658)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506212)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506223)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2507618)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2508429)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2510531)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2509553)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2511455)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506014)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2511250)
Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - April 2011 (KB890830)
Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (KB2519984)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467175)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467174)
Microsoft Silverlight (KB2526954)
Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113)

My cpu
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350t
Windows 7
mouse and keyboard are usb

festerovic

Distinguished
if your BIOS is recognizing the KB and M then it must be software related. I don't think its a windows update though. I would try using a new kb and mouse to log in, then plug in the old ones and you may get prompted to update the drivers then.

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
So just to make sure i understand you correctly.

While my computer is on unplug my mouse and keyboard
Plug in new mouse and keyboard
restart computer input password
when computer starts up plug back in old keyboard and mouse?

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

I guess i can do that but its a pain reinstalling everything back again. Plus i need to buy an external drive to back everything up. Theres got to be someone be another solution.

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

i just connected another mouse and i got a message on my taskbar saying driver are being downloaded. I dont have another keyboard i can you on this comp. Im going to try and see if that did the trick.

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

ah ok! Im going to to reset my bios to defaults. ill be back in a second to report back. Thanks!

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Will pulling out the battery from the mobo affect anything? I dont want to take any risks damaging anything? I havent done that before. Any precautions i should take?

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Thank you. Im going to try that as well. Should i do all my Updates from up top?

festerovic

Distinguished

to reset to defaults, press f1 or del or f2 or whatever it says during startup to enter bios. Then look for reset to default.

The battery thing would be the last thing to do, you should not need to do that unless you can't find the jumper or enter the bios.

Yes i would do all the critical and important MS updates.
I would skip optional ones like.
Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
I would update those directly from the first party sites.
Ms tends to mess up hardware related updates in my experience.

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I did a keyboard default driver settings from the link you gave me. Downloaded them. restarted my computer. I got the dreadful blue screen. Searched to repaired the problem. Computer found problem and fixed it. i decided to then shut down my computer. This time it actually did the updates and took a couple of mins. Then it shutdown. The mouse and keyboard now worked! Then when it started back up it started to configure all the new updates. Everything looks good. I shut it down again to make sure it works still and it does! Im not sure if it was the pluggin in of the keyboard or the driver download for the keyboard that davcon suggested but everything looks like its running fine now! Thanks alot to you both!

djphaze

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
It actually happened again. I did a norton update and it restarted my cpu and my keyboard and mouse wouldnt work. I did the bios default settings. That didnt help. then i removed the battery from the mobo. Still didnt work. Had to system restore again. Im afraid this isnt going away.