Keyboard and mouse not working on Windows 7, only USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports available

Abominablefox

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Just finished my first build. My Mobo is a gigabyte ga-z170 gaming 5. I booted windows 7 from a USB onto it, but couldn't get access to the drivers to connect to the internet (my case doesn't support an optical drive). To solve this, booted Linux Ubuntu and downloaded the network and USB 3.0 drivers from the gigabyte to the ssd. I rebooted to Windows 7, and successfully updated the network drive. Instead of updating the USB drive from the device manager, I used the driver I downloaded from gigabyte. The driver isn't working anymore and I'm unable to use my keyboard and mouse on Windows. Running it in safe mode doesn't work and I can't find an option to disable the 3.0 USBs in the bios. The Mobo doesnt have any 2.0 USBs (from what I can tell; I've tried all the ports). I'm thinking I may have to reinstall windows 7 and start over with Ubuntu still on there, which isn't a big deal since there is literally nothing else on the computer. Any suggestions?

Solution
Trying to run Windows 7 on a system with no USB 2 ports is a bit like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The distributed version of Windows 7 has no USB 3 support. Get yourself a USB 2 expansion card or go with Windows 10.

Good luck.
Trying to run Windows 7 on a system with no USB 2 ports is a bit like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The distributed version of Windows 7 has no USB 3 support. Get yourself a USB 2 expansion card or go with Windows 10.

Good luck.

Solution

Brogan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

Sorry to resurrect, but, uhh... why not just install the USB 3.0 drivers from the motherboard's website? Wouldn't they by definition also include functionality for usb 2.0 and 1.0?