[SOLVED] Keyboard and Mouse Not Working

soratoyuki

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Alright. I updated to Windows 10 build 1809 several days ago, but everything has been smooth since. Yesterday, I attempted to play a game of Rocket League, but realized by Xbox controller (wired via USB, not wireless) was not responding, despite the logo on the top of the controller being lit. I assumed it was a random issue that would resolve itself, turned off my computer, and went to bed.

Today, after turning on my PC, my keyboard and mouse aren't responding. They're both RGB, and neither are even lighting up. Strangely, the red LED on my USB microphone is lit up, so it may be working. I've tried switching around the USB plugs, but neither mouse or keyboard (or an additional mouse and keyboard) work in any port, whereas my microphone seems to be working in every port.

I cannot log into my PC, nor can I access BIOS. I restarted the PC enough to get into Automatic Repair, but I cannot make a selection between Restart and Advanced Options. I'm at a total loss as to how to proceed except to wipe Windows, but that prospect makes me cry.**

**Although, I have Windows on an SSD, random programs on a later-purchased NVMe SSD, and a HDD of music/movies/etc. If I reinstall Windows on the NVMe, the data on the HD will be untouched, right? How would I go about uninstalling Windows from the SSD?

Edited to add: Through no work of my own, after having it sit on the Restart/Advanced Options screen of Automatic Repair, I went ahead and manually restarted it (for the 8th time) and everything worked like normal, including my Xbox controller which should have been my first clue. I'm so confused right now.

Edited 2: Spoke too soon, maybe. The keyboard and mouse work long enough to get me logged in, (and remain lit), but they stop accepting inputs after a minute or so. WTF.

Edited 3: I'm trying to be more thorough about which devices are plugged into which port to try to isolate a device or port that's wrong, but even without making any changes to whats plugged in where, if my keyboard/mouse work and for how long seems totally randomized. Sometimes it'll light up and work briefly, sometimes it'll light up and not work, sometimes it won't light up or work at all.

Solution
There is two ways to proceed forward from here.

The dull way : Just assume there is something with windows installation/settings, then do a reinstall (and you probably need to buy a new licence, not sure). It will probably fix the problem right away.

Then there is the metodic way, step one is to try to determine if it is a hardware problem or not.
You simply test your mouse and keyboard to a different computer to see if it works.
You may also get a bootable linux live-cd (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) to see if your mouse works there. Well - unless you cannot access your bios BECAUSE the keyboard problem.
There is two ways to proceed forward from here.

The dull way : Just assume there is something with windows installation/settings, then do a reinstall (and you probably need to buy a new licence, not sure). It will probably fix the problem right away.

Then there is the metodic way, step one is to try to determine if it is a hardware problem or not.
You simply test your mouse and keyboard to a different computer to see if it works.
You may also get a bootable linux live-cd (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) to see if your mouse works there. Well - unless you cannot access your bios BECAUSE the keyboard problem.

Solution

soratoyuki

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016

I'm about to plug my peripherals into my girlfriends computer to double check but I think it a safe assumption it's my computer. I'm mentally preparing to reinstall Windows on my NVMe, but my worry is how to uninstall it from my current SSD, and that maybe it won't fix the problem. There's a chance its a PSU or mobo issue, right?

soratoyuki

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
I got that. I'm just confused about having an operating system installed on two different drives--the SSD it's currently on and the NVMe SSD I'd be installing it on now.

Well, when installing Windoes - always make sure that only the drive that you're supposing to install windows on, is connected. All other storage devices (exept cd-rom and memory stick readers) should be disconnected while installing Windows.

soratoyuki

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
I really do understand that. I've unplugged my SSD and my HD so that I install Windows on my NVMe. But then after that, when I plug my SSD and HD back in, that SSD will also have Windows. Can I remove Windows from that SSD or do I need to reformat that drive too.

No - the latest installed Windows doesn't "know" if there is another one at the other drive - only if you choose to boot from that other drive.
It should be safe to remove any Windows folders from that other drive, as they shouldn't be locked down (as being in use by Windows). However, you probably need to take ownership to the contents first in order to get privilegies to delete what you want to delete.