Keyboard and mouse won't work after installing Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I installed Windows 10 alongside Windows 7. Keyboard and mouse work fine in 10 but refuse to work on 7. It was fine before installing Windows 10, and now they don't work. I know the problem is windows 10, and I want to uninstall it, but I can't since my keyboard and mouse don't work on Windows 7 so I can't get to meconfig.

Solution
The issue you are describing is highly unusual. Device drivers in each environment should be entirely independent and have no effect on each other. My only guess as to what could cause such behavior is that the devices are currently connected to USB 3.0 and somehow the USB 3.0 chipset driver in Windows 7 has become corrupted or failed. This would also explain the lack of support in the recovery media which also does not have USB 3.0 support.

You could try to create USB recovery media in Windows 10 and boot to that. You could also try relocating the connections for your keyboard and mouse to a USB 2.0 port. Otherwise you should report this malfunction via the Feedback app to inform Microsoft of the error and post the details of...

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
If you manage to get into Safe Mode, go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any 3rd party software from Logitech, Microsoft, or whoever and then reboot and see if that helps.

For all intent it should be working fine but there is something causing it not to. If you can get into Safe Mode you might also run through the startup list and see if something there is hosing it.

I'm going to assume that you installed the two OSs on two different partitions in your computer. That being said, with the keyboard/mouse not working in Safe Mode you are possibly looking at OS corruption. I would boot to the Windows CD and go into what's called Recovery Console and run a sfc /scannow. This will check and fix any errors in relation to critical system files.

There's really no other way to explain what is going on here except for either the USB root hub driver or the keyboard/mouse drivers becoming corrupted which in turn corrupted the install.

G

I have them on the same drive, just different partitions. Also, the mouse and keyboard don't work when using the windows cd.

G

Ok, I went to the command prompt and typed in the command. It told me that there was a repair already pending. Nothing happens when I restart the computer though.

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The issue you are describing is highly unusual. Device drivers in each environment should be entirely independent and have no effect on each other. My only guess as to what could cause such behavior is that the devices are currently connected to USB 3.0 and somehow the USB 3.0 chipset driver in Windows 7 has become corrupted or failed. This would also explain the lack of support in the recovery media which also does not have USB 3.0 support.

You could try to create USB recovery media in Windows 10 and boot to that. You could also try relocating the connections for your keyboard and mouse to a USB 2.0 port. Otherwise you should report this malfunction via the Feedback app to inform Microsoft of the error and post the details of your configuration here for other users including make and model of keyboard and mouse, make and model of the computer or its components, and the version of drivers used for USB, keyboard, mouse, chipset, etc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.