[SOLVED] Keyboard (both USB and PS/2) won't work on splash screen and PC stuck in BIOS load menu

Khaaytil

Honorable
May 27, 2017
I can't get past the BIOS load menu. My PC won't recognize any USB or PS/2 keyboard until the PC is fully booted to Windows login screen. I reset CMOS and PC is stuck in the menu where you choose whether to load with default BIOS settings or choose settings yourself and i can't choose anything because USB ports won't recognize any keyboard. Ports do recognize other devices such as mouse, phone and etc

Reactions: Rohan023
Solution
new motherboard or a USB controller card. the USB subsystem is part of the motherboards chipset.
either augment with a new USB card or replace the faulty board.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
open the case and then unplug the motherboard from the PSU then remove the battery on the motherboard.
removing the power and the backup battery will force default the BIOS. no keyboard required. remove power for 5 minutes - safer than sorry- replace the battery and the power cables to the motherboard and the BIOS will be reset.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Khaaytil

Honorable
May 27, 2017
open the case and then unplug the motherboard from the PSU then remove the battery on the motherboard.
removing the power and the backup battery will force default the BIOS. no keyboard required. remove power for 5 minutes - safer than sorry- replace the battery and the power cables to the motherboard and the BIOS will be reset.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-
BIOS is reset but the PC still won't recognize any keyboard

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
PS/2 keyboard must be plugged in while the system is off, they are NOT hot swappable like a USB keyboard. it must be connected before boot or it will not be seen.

IDK about the USB. I thought the controller was disabled in the BIOS and a reset would remedy that. the USB keyboard works on another device?

Khaaytil

Honorable
May 27, 2017
PS/2 keyboard must be plugged in while the system is off, they are NOT hot swappable like a USB keyboard. it must be connected before boot or it will not be seen.

IDK about the USB. I thought the controller was disabled in the BIOS and a reset would remedy that. the USB keyboard works on another device?
Yeah keyboards I've tried do work on other PC's

Khaaytil

Honorable
May 27, 2017

I didn't know that about PS/2 keyboards and i plugged it in after booting up PC. Now i did it the way you told me and it worked, i can get past the BIOS screen. But USB mouse and keyboard are still not working. I enabled Legacy USB Support in BIOS hoping that would fix my issue, but it didn't.