Question Keyboard causing boot past bios to freeze (ASUS Z97a and Redragon K556-RK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entrainer

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I ran into something new, perhaps you can share experience or solution?

I bought a new keyboard, the Redragon K556-RK and plugged it into the black USB-2 port on the Asus Z97a. When booting my computer, the bios freezes on the press F2 or Del to enter Bios. The keyboard won't allow access to the bios.

If I unplug the keyboard and restart, the computer will continue on into Windows and boot normally. I can then plug the keyboard in and use it as normal.

I've updated the bios to the most current version.

Reactions: Volgare

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have another keyboard to test? Maybe the original keyboard if it was not broken in some manner.

Are you able to test the new keyboard on another known working computer?

Determine if the problem follows the new keyboard or stays with the computer.

Inspect the USB port(s) and plugs for signs of damage or debris.

entrainer

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Well, I must be mistaken. I was able to repeat the results a couple of times plugging in a different keyboard, no keyboard, and the Redragon. Then the computer booted properly with the Redragon and froze on the Press Del or F2 to enter Bios screen without the keyboard.

It might be a CMOS battery issue?

Sidchip

Prominent
Jul 30, 2020
I ran into something new, perhaps you can share experience or solution?

I bought a new keyboard, the Redragon K556-RK and plugged it into the black USB-2 port on the Asus Z97a. When booting my computer, the bios freezes on the press F2 or Del to enter Bios. The keyboard won't allow access to the bios.

If I unplug the keyboard and restart, the computer will continue on into Windows and boot normally. I can then plug the keyboard in and use it as normal.

I've updated the bios to the most current version.

Hey, just want to say I'm having the exact same issue. ASUS Z97-A and Reddragon K552-RGB keyboard I picked up yesterday - when I plug it in, it's stuck on the Press DEL for setup or F2 for UEFI etc... Previous keyboard didn't do this.

I'm wondering why you think its a battery issue? I'm also considering replacing mine as it previously (before new keyboard) would sometimes make me enter bios. I'd exit not saving changes and it would boot.. I think this particular MOBO might be a little flaky :( I too am running latest firmware. If you do change your battery, let me know if this fixed it?

Thanks,
Sid

entrainer

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hey, just want to say I'm having the exact same issue. ASUS Z97-A and Reddragon K552-RGB keyboard I picked up yesterday - when I plug it in, it's stuck on the Press DEL for setup or F2 for UEFI etc... Previous keyboard didn't do this.

I'm wondering why you think its a battery issue? I'm also considering replacing mine as it previously (before new keyboard) would sometimes make me enter bios. I'd exit not saving changes and it would boot.. I think this particular MOBO might be a little flaky :( I too am running latest firmware. If you do change your battery, let me know if this fixed it?

Thanks,
Sid

I can confirm it isn't the battery. It looks like an incompatibility between the Bios and Keyboard. I exchanged my keyboard for another of the same model and the exact thing is occurring. It doesn't happen with my previous keyboard.

I'd return the keyboard and get a different brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS