Keyboard doesn't work in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcard519

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I have the opposite problem from most ppl. My keyboard words in Windows, even works when I hit DEL to get into the Bios, but I can't even more the cursor with the keyboard or mouse in the Bios.

I have even tried with the old school PS2 mouse and keyboard as well as USB.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Brandon

Not every USB connection works in the BIOS.

Sometimes only a couple of the top ones work.

In the BIOS there's also a setting that can disable most USB for faster bootup. If you're really stuck you might shut down and clear the CMOS which should clear this setting if it's been enabled.

So to summarize:
1) Try every TOP USB slot
2) may need to CLEAR CMOS

bcard519

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I have no idea how to clear the CMOS.
Assuming you mean the top slots on the back.

I that using the PS2 keyboard would of solved the usb issues. The PS2 works when I hit DEL to enter the Bios, but doesn't do anything once I'm in the Bios

Thanks for the help guys.

How to clear CMOS (universal method):
1) Shut down the system and unplug it.
2) Press and hold the power button for three seconds to drain any remaining power. This eliminates any chances of you getting shocked while inside the tower.
3) Take a look around the motherboard. You're looking for a shiny button battery that looks like a large watch battery. Likely a lithium CR-2032. Use a small screwdriver (or sacrifice one of your nails) to undo the latch and get the battery out.
4) After at least a minute has passed, put the battery back in.
5) Turn the system on, boot into BIOS setup and find out whether or not system behavior has changed.

Note that it's normal for a system to forget the date and time after losing CMOS power.

Status
Not open for further replies.