Keyboard Driver Issue

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Well, long time no speaky Tom's, well, lets get it down to business.

I've been given an old Acer laptop that needed some work, thinking it would be an easy job, turned out I was wrong, way wrong, the keys on the keyboard do not match to the keys being output to the screen, such as "a" outputs to "a1", or the letter "t" to "wxzzx".

Here is what I have tried so far.

Uninstalled keyboard driver, re installed.

Ran microsoft Fix it

Attempted to access device manager, failure to launch (Reeks of exploitation)

Mcafee full scan (AV that was on the machine)

Nothing was found, could it be a hardware issue? The owner says nothing happened to it, but the thing is beat like no other, smells like excrement (literally the owner is a borderline animal hoarder), Any ideas?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Could be a lot of things, with lots of animals hair comes to mind, could clean with foam swab and rubbing alcohol if comfortable getting into the guts, might run a Malware scanner on it, MalwareBytes is a good one

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

I'll try Malwarebytes, we'll see how that goes, I've never disassembled a laptop down to the keyboard, we'll see if Malware bytes works.

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
No luck, nothing was found, also tried sharp keys to manually re bind the keys, but I have a strong feeling now that it is a key logger, when it is connected to the internet, random mouse movements and random key's are pushed, any more ideas?

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
No bang, I've decided to reformat it, I'm giving back the computer for them to save any files, than its being wiped, with a new os, thanks anyway.

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Surprisingly, the random key rebindings halted, but the keyboard itself is still broken, ordering a replacement, we'll see how it goes after that.