Keyboard error or keyboard not present

The other day i bought a new computer. Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
motherboard with an amd 3000+ cpu and windows xp
professional. At first everything was good once i set it
up but the next day when i turned it back on I got a
keyboard error or keyboard not present error please press
F1 to continue. Since pressing F1 doesn't help i guess the
keyboard isnt detected. Im using a microsoft internet
keyboard pro. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard makes
it possible to press F1 and load the computer but when i
get to the loginscreen i need to press reboot since i
can't type my password untill i've rebooted. When
rebooting I don't get any errormessages and I can start
using the computer.

Any ideas on what might cause this annoying problem. I've
tried another keyboard and that works fine.

"Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The other day i bought a new computer. Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
> motherboard with an amd 3000+ cpu and windows xp
> professional. At first everything was good once i set it
> up but the next day when i turned it back on I got a
> keyboard error or keyboard not present error please press
> F1 to continue. Since pressing F1 doesn't help i guess the
> keyboard isnt detected. Im using a microsoft internet
> keyboard pro. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard makes
> it possible to press F1 and load the computer but when i
> get to the loginscreen i need to press reboot since i
> can't type my password untill i've rebooted. When
> rebooting I don't get any errormessages and I can start
> using the computer.
>
> Any ideas on what might cause this annoying problem. I've
> tried another keyboard and that works fine.

Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
that they give you a keyboard that works.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The other day i bought a new computer. Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
> > motherboard with an amd 3000+ cpu and windows xp
> > professional. At first everything was good once i set it
> > up but the next day when i turned it back on I got a
> > keyboard error or keyboard not present error please press
> > F1 to continue. Since pressing F1 doesn't help i guess the
> > keyboard isnt detected. Im using a microsoft internet
> > keyboard pro. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard makes
> > it possible to press F1 and load the computer but when i
> > get to the loginscreen i need to press reboot since i
> > can't type my password untill i've rebooted. When
> > rebooting I don't get any errormessages and I can start
> > using the computer.
> >
> > Any ideas on what might cause this annoying problem. I've
> > tried another keyboard and that works fine.
>
> Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
> that they give you a keyboard that works.

There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't take it back because of it.

Get a cheap $4 PS/2 keyboard and plug them both in.

"Mimmi" <Mimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
|

| > "Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > > The other day i bought a new computer. Asus A7N8X-E
deluxe
| > > motherboard with an amd 3000+ cpu and windows xp
| > > professional. At first everything was good once i set
it
| > > up but the next day when i turned it back on I got a
| > > keyboard error or keyboard not present error please
press
| > > F1 to continue. Since pressing F1 doesn't help i guess
the
| > > keyboard isnt detected. Im using a microsoft internet
| > > keyboard pro. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard
makes
| > > it possible to press F1 and load the computer but when
| > > get to the loginscreen i need to press reboot since i
| > > can't type my password untill i've rebooted. When
| > > rebooting I don't get any errormessages and I can
start
| > > using the computer.
| > >
| > > Any ideas on what might cause this annoying problem.
I've
| > > tried another keyboard and that works fine.
| >
| > Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
| > that they give you a keyboard that works.
| >

| There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer
as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the
USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra
USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can
replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to
work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't
take it back because of it.

I don't need one this one work pretty much the same as one of those. I can type on it and stuff, I just can't use the extra USB-ports.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Get a cheap $4 PS/2 keyboard and plug them both in.

First off, I want to say that is a nice computer you have there. The
keyboard is also excellent. You can plug in both the PS/2 and USB at the
same time if you chose. Why it probably doesn't work with USB is
because you have to enable USB keyboards in your BIOS. If the option
isn't there, you may need to upcate your BIOS and see if that
functionality was included. If not, you can also set it to not give the
No Keyboard Error. That's what I have to do since mine is wireless and
not supported until Windows loads. Hope that helps a little ;)

Nathan McNulty

Mimmi wrote:

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>>"Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>The other day i bought a new computer. Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
>>>motherboard with an amd 3000+ cpu and windows xp
>>>professional. At first everything was good once i set it
>>>up but the next day when i turned it back on I got a
>>>keyboard error or keyboard not present error please press
>>>F1 to continue. Since pressing F1 doesn't help i guess the
>>>keyboard isnt detected. Im using a microsoft internet
>>>keyboard pro. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard makes
>>>it possible to press F1 and load the computer but when i
>>>get to the loginscreen i need to press reboot since i
>>>can't type my password untill i've rebooted. When
>>>rebooting I don't get any errormessages and I can start
>>>using the computer.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on what might cause this annoying problem. I've
>>>tried another keyboard and that works fine.
>>
>>Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
>>that they give you a keyboard that works.
>>

> There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't take it back because of it.

There is no need since the keyboard has both. He can just plug in both
and it will work just fine. That specific keyboard has a built-in hub
(I'm pretty sure) and needs the USB connectivity. It's a nice keyboard :)

Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Get a cheap $4 PS/2 keyboard and plug them both in.
>

> "Mimmi" <Mimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |

> | "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> |

> | > "Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> deluxe
> it
> press
> the
> makes
> start

> I've
> | >
> | > Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
> | > that they give you a keyboard that works.
> | >

> | There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer
> as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the
> USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra
> USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can
> replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to
> work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't
> take it back because of it.

I've tried enabling the usb keyboards in the bios didnt help much but i'll try to turn off the keyboard errors next time i start up. What i don't understand is why it worked the first time i started up and then decided not to in the future. And Im sure it isn't the port that is faulty.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> First off, I want to say that is a nice computer you have there. The
> keyboard is also excellent. You can plug in both the PS/2 and USB at the
> same time if you chose. Why it probably doesn't work with USB is
> because you have to enable USB keyboards in your BIOS. If the option
> isn't there, you may need to upcate your BIOS and see if that
> functionality was included. If not, you can also set it to not give the
> No Keyboard Error. That's what I have to do since mine is wireless and
> not supported until Windows loads. Hope that helps a little ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Mimmi wrote:
>

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> >>"Mimmi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >>Take the machine back to where you bought it and demand
> >>that they give you a keyboard that works.
> >>

> > There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't take it back because of it.

One thing I have learned is that PS/2 is very picky. Also, USB has to
be fully supported by the BIOS in order for it to work before Windows
loads. You can try updating your BIOS if there is a newer version, but
I think by plugging both cables in, you shouldn't have a problem ;)

Nathan McNulty

Mimmi wrote:

> I've tried enabling the usb keyboards in the bios didnt help much but i'll try to turn off the keyboard errors next time i start up. What i don't understand is why it worked the first time i started up and then decided not to in the future. And Im sure it isn't the port that is faulty.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>First off, I want to say that is a nice computer you have there. The
>>keyboard is also excellent. You can plug in both the PS/2 and USB at the
>>same time if you chose. Why it probably doesn't work with USB is
>>because you have to enable USB keyboards in your BIOS. If the option
>>isn't there, you may need to upcate your BIOS and see if that
>>functionality was included. If not, you can also set it to not give the
>>No Keyboard Error. That's what I have to do since mine is wireless and
>>not supported until Windows loads. Hope that helps a little ;)
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Mimmi wrote:

>>>There is nothing wrong with the keyboard or the computer as far as i know. The problem occur only when I plug the USB-connection the ps/2 works fine, but render the extra USB-ports on the keyboard useless. On the other hand I can replug the USB once the thing is started up and get it to work. I didn't get the keyboard with the computer so I can't take it back because of it.

Hi just wanted to add - I too have A7n8X-DLX II and Microsoft Wireless
Optical Mouse/Keyboard - same problem. I find it happens only after the
computer has been OFF - at which point I get Keyboard Error - The
keyboard works - I can press Del and enter bios, if I exit Bios without
saving anything it will boot up fine if I press F1 (which will work!)
then I will not have keyboard when I access Windows XP logon screen. I
can think of a few workarounds (note enabling legacy support has
nothing to do with it) but surely this seems like a problem with the
MOBO (I was using the same keyboard and mouse with an older MOBO and
this never happened)....

Regards.

--
credible