Keyboard fix

My new Asus K8S-MX would not work with either of my keyboards. One is
an old Northgate, the other a possibly old design very like the
original IBM PC keyboard made by "pckey". The symptoms were
different, what was common was they both didn't work.

Fix is to go into bios at "boot options" and turn of the thing that
sets "num lock" on boot. Both keyboards now work normally.

I've heard lotsa reports of keyboard strangeness. This may help some
of them.

Felger Carbon wrote:

> My new Asus K8S-MX would not work with either of my keyboards. One is
> an old Northgate, the other a possibly old design very like the
> original IBM PC keyboard made by "pckey". The symptoms were
> different, what was common was they both didn't work.
>
> Fix is to go into bios at "boot options" and turn of the thing that
> sets "num lock" on boot. Both keyboards now work normally.
>
> I've heard lotsa reports of keyboard strangeness. This may help some
> of them.

OK, that's weird.

Felger Carbon wrote:

> My new Asus K8S-MX would not work with either of my
> keyboards. One is an old Northgate, the other a
> possibly old design very like the original IBM PC
> keyboard made by "pckey". The symptoms were different,
> what was common was they both didn't work.
>
> Fix is to go into bios at "boot options" and turn off
> the thing that sets "num lock" on boot. Both keyboards
> now work normally.

Did that IBM keyboard have the 2-chip controller? That caused problems
with some VIA south bridges (BIOS author could program around it), but
the 3-chip controllers were no problem. VIA said it couldn't
accommodate every keyboard made, never mind that IBM was the standard
for all of them.

<do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Felger Carbon wrote:
>
> > My new Asus K8S-MX would not work with either of my
> > keyboards. One is an old Northgate, the other a
> > possibly old design very like the original IBM PC
> > keyboard made by "pckey". The symptoms were different,
> > what was common was they both didn't work.
> >
> > Fix is to go into bios at "boot options" and turn off
> > the thing that sets "num lock" on boot. Both keyboards
> > now work normally.
>
> Did that IBM keyboard have the 2-chip controller? That caused
problems
> with some VIA south bridges (BIOS author could program around it),
but
> the 3-chip controllers were no problem. VIA said it couldn't
> accommodate every keyboard made, never mind that IBM was the
standard
> for all of them.

I have no idea what's inside this keyboard. And it's not an IBM
keyboard, it's a keyboard made to be as closely like the original IBM
as possible. Sold by "pckey", or something like that. Ah.
www.pckeyboard.com.