Question Keyboard gets stuck when alt-tab

Nov 2, 2022
The keyboard in question is HyperX Alloy FPS Pro.

I have spilled coffee on it a couple of months ago but I'm not sure if that's the culprit.

When CPU is under load (e.g. video game) and I alt-tab to Chrome for example, if I place my cursor on the search bar and type something my keyboard would continue typing random letter in it. I've noticed it's almost always the letter that associates with the key that's last being pressed before alt-tabbing or right after it. So I'd get something like this being continuously typed: "PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" or "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" indefinitely. It stops when I unplug the keyboard and plug it back. Note that I can still continue typing during this continuous spamming but if I tried to type "ASD" this is how it would look like: "qqqqqqqqAqqqqqSqqqqqD". It works great under any other circumstance. It doesn't bug under normal alt-tabbing and regular use, only when I alt-tab from under load process. When I didn't do any heavy system tasks for some time I even forgot that there's anything wrong with the keyboard.

It doesn't ever happen if I wait couple of seconds after alt-tabbing and not try to type anything.

I don't have other keyboards to test the issue. This has been going on for months now and I've gotten used to just unplugging the keyboard when this happens. When I unplug keyboard I do it from the keyboard side, since I don't have to reach behind computer case.

I'm using Windows 10.
My setup is quite old.
CPU: AMD FX 8320
MB: ASUS M5 A97 R2.0
SSD/HDD: 1x 1TB WD Blue, 2x Kingston SSD 240GB 2.5" Sata3
GPU: GTX 950
RAM: 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz
PSU: Chieftec ECO Gpe 600W

I tried troubleshooting, deleting drivers, swapping USB port.

The way I cleaned it after my coffee spill is I took small bits of toilet paper and try to stuff them underneath small crevices on key switches (since switches are not hot swappable) and that would pull the liquid out.

Could it be that it has to do something with high voltage when system is under load that makes my keyboard act weirdly when I try to alt-tab?

I really like this keyboard, I'm reluctant to go for new one.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I have spilled coffee on it a couple of months ago but I'm not sure if that's the culprit.
+
The way I cleaned it after my coffee spill is I took small bits of toilet paper and try to stuff them underneath small crevices on key switches (since switches are not hot swappable) and that would pull the liquid out.
I'm going to go as far as assuming that the coffee dried up inside the housing of the key switches and is now causing the switches to bind in place, to explain why you see a repetition of the keystrokes, although you didn't spam the key in question.

I could be wrong though. have you tried taking the keyboard over to a donor system and seen if the issue persists there? If not, then the issue might with your platform, the OS would be the first thing I'd point at, then again that processor doesn't bode well.

Your specs are incomplete, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis: