Keyboard Intermittently Stops Working

LolCaptain

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Recently, my keyboard would start suddenly stop working and sometimes be stuck on the key I last pressed. It would happen randomly, during a gaming session or typing an essay. It's annoying.

My keyboard is a Steel Series Apex that I have had for roughly 2 years now. A couple months ago, I had this problem too but it stopped occurring until now. Roughly every hour or sometimes after a long time, my keyboard would suddenly stop working. The LEDs would be frozen to the color it was at and sometimes the key I pressed would be stuck. I have tried plugging and unplugging on the fly but it only turned off the LEDs and no gain in control. Other than this, my keyboard works fine. The Steel Series Engine software works fine and my drivers are up to date.

No errors at all. Just recently though I had Windows troubleshoot my keyboard after it froze (using just my mouse) and it found that it was off. Subsequent tries after my keyboard froze didn't work. If I'm not in a game, I am able to uninstall the drivers and re plug my keyboard and start again. But when gaming in full screen mode I am forced to reboot via case power button.

Please help guys, this is so annoying. I don't want to pin it on my keyboard either since it doesn't seen to by the keyboard itself. Thank you for your help guys!

Fairace

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Update the BIOS and all the drivers. Try the keyboard on another system see if the problem happens there. Also try another keyboard. These should tell you for sure if its the keyboard problem or something else.

LolCaptain

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Alright, I'll check it out sometime this week. Thank you.

LolCaptain

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

I haven't been able to try out another keyboard, but I tried moving my keyboard to the USB hub connected to my computer and the problem stopped occurring.

TRENDING THREADS