Keyboard issue - not working properly in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Good afternoon, good folks of TH. Sorry to come to you with this, but I'm beating my head against the wall here.

ISSUE: After image restore, laptop keyboard no longer works properly in games.

DETAIL ISSUE:
* Keyboard seems to be working fine in all 'standard computing tasks' and in fact when typing into developer consoles, chat bars, etcetera in several games. Typically it does not do anything at all, but I have noticed that sometimes it acts like a stuck key has been pressed; I press "W" to move forward and my character constantly runs forward.
* Keyboard mysteriously seems to work when I am holding the ctrl key. For example, in Portal 2, I can move around completely fine while crouched with CTRL. Spacebar also seems to be unaffected.
* Mouse works fine at all times.
* Keyboard worked fine until I wiped computer and reinstalled everything. Currently fully updated and otherwise perfectly working Vista SP2.

HAVE TRIED:
Validating/reinstalling game software (before I realized it was every game)
Running in windowed mode / fullscreen mode
Checking stickykeys settings
Reinstalling keyboard driver
Updating directx

---

I have not had much luck searching the web. A few people with a very similar issue, but never resolved. User "Cookizrevil" posted on TechSupportForum and Cybertechhelp 10/2010 with no responses - he was running Win7 so I guess it's not a Vista-only issue. I can do further sleuthing and troubleshooting on my own, but I'm out of ideas of what to check next. Any ideas?

Thanks for any input - even an indirect thought might lead me down the right path!

KK

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
SOLVED

Started stripping everything down and found the program conflict. Internet provider Comcast provides free Norton IS, which I did not suspect as I had been using it before. This time, when I downloaded it, I was required to take a whole "Constant Guard" suite which also included a password/identity protection app called "GuardedID". Removing both of these applications seems to have magically solved my keyboard issues.

Strangely enough, though I was required to download their Constant Guard launcher to install antivirus, the AV seems to still be ticking even though I uninstalled the master program. Food for thought, should future generations hit the same snag and google this post.

Thanks for listening!
KK

chrlerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Fix'd. Thank you so much for discovering what was causing this. I have been searching the web for over 24 hours until I found your thread. I think it'd be the right thing to do to go to all of the other threads where people have the same problem and let them know about this. Hopefully Constant Guard will work on a fix for this problem so that people won't fall prey to this bug. But in the meantime, thanks again. :)

Todd Melanson

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013

I have no software from comcast or Norton and I have the same problem. I'm happy for you guys if the "mysterious sticking keys" seems solved for you, but I don;t think it has anything to do with Norton or Comcast since I have neither. It's very frustrating, its basically making Modern Warfare 2 unplayable online. By the way, I'm using Windows 8, so it seems to be a problem across all Windows OS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.