Question keyboard letter lifetime

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I made the mistake of getting an uber cheap Rii907 USB cabled keyboard as a replacement. Works well, BUT, the print on the keys wears off after a year or so. I've ended up painting on letters! Now, Apple used to make keyboards in which the letters were deeply embossed into the plastic and never degraded. Any recommendations about economical keyboards whose printed letters last a long time?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not meant to be rude in any kind of way, but the keyboard you mention is less than $10 on Amazon right now. I rather feel that ~$.84 a month isn't too bad.

I purchase the MK120 wired combo mouse and keyboard which is typically ~$15 and replace them for the same reason. I haven't had one of the KB quit working but the print on the keys goes away as you say.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
As I said, it was uber cheap, and it isn't about the cost. It's about the effort expended to replace a keyboard that you can't read the keys on anymore. I'd be happy to pay a bit more for a decent one that will be usable for a few years. You'd like to believe that keyboard manufacturers would call out effort to make key labels last. Ha ha. You can actually buy sets of keyboard label stickers! Just paste one on when you label disappears.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I now understand that the best keyboard keys are "double-shot" or "double-injection molded", as opposed to just having letters painted on. Apple keyboards used to be the former, but they aren't cheap. But who precisely markets these? As to the painted-on ones, I understand that painting them with nail polish protector every month or two can preserve them. I don't like to consider keyboards as "disposable" items.