[SOLVED] Keyboard lights up but doesn't respond, PC stuck on the BIOS prompt screen ?

_FrosT_

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
This PC has been sat for a fair while and this is the first time trying to use it again. It was put away in working condition (I believe it had Lynux on it last time it was used).

When I start it up it boots then after a few seconds it reboots itself and then it gets to the ASUS logo screen with a prompt to enter BIOS. It does not go past this screen at all, if there are any drives plugged into it then it post A2 error so I took out all the drives and it gets to 99 but still can't get past the ASUS screen. I have also tried a USB installer for windows but won't boot into that automatically either. I have also tried a drive that is working with Windows 10 on it and same story, A2 error and no boot.

I have tried 4 different keyboards and all of them light up but I get no response to the DEL or F2 which are the ASUS BIOS keys. I have tried every single USB port at the front and back of the PC with reboots between as it gives a B4 error code if I plug anything in while its on the ASUS screen. I have also unplugged everything that is not necessary, only things plugged in are a keyboard, HDMI and power, there are no other USB devices to interfere. I have also tried booting without a keyboard but again same result.

I have also tried a drive from another PC, tried the reset CMOS button and removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes (not so fun on this mobo) and still exactly the same.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get into BIOS or why it wouldn't respond to any keys? I am all out of ideas.

Specs:
i7 4770K
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Gigabyte GTX 980
16GB Corsair RAM
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Solution
Well if in the future this happens to anyone I manage to solve the issue by using a very small pendrive (under 1GB) formated to FAT and the BIOS flashback finally worked. BIOS file name should be M6F.CAP

_FrosT_

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Well if in the future this happens to anyone I manage to solve the issue by using a very small pendrive (under 1GB) formated to FAT and the BIOS flashback finally worked. BIOS file name should be M6F.CAP

Solution