[SOLVED] Keyboard loses connection randomly ?

LRMaster

Prominent
Jun 11, 2021
So, I just bought a cheap rgb keyboard, and for some reason, on my sister's HP laptop, sometimes the keyboard just dies. I have to replug it in after, but after a few minutes, it dies again. I have tried both of the USB ports, so its probably an issue with my sister's pc, since it hangs up a lot when playing heavy games (dont know if it has to do with anything). Also, the keyboard seems to work fine when its slotted in a certain amount, and keep in mind I tried this when the keyboard died while being plugged in. Finally, i have also tried it on my personal Lenovo laptop, and it runs fine, not a single issue. (sorry for bad english, its not my first language)
HP laptop information:
14s - DK100 series
Athlon 3050u (stupidly unstable under load)
4gb of ram
256gb ssd
(put the specs here just in case)

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

On your sister's HP laptop first verify that the correct keyboard drivers are installed.

Even if correct, and the problem continues, try manually downloading the keyboard drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website, Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party driver installers.

If reinstalling the drivers does not work then look in Windows 10's Reliability History.

Reliability History may be capturing some errors or other events that correspond to the keyboard's dying. And, the timeline format may show you exactly when those problems began.

Another thing you can do is use Performance Monitor and Task Manager to observe the HP laptop's performance.

Use both but only one at a time.

Observe first with only the laptop's keyboard in use and the new RGB keyboard unplugged.

Then plug in the RGB keyboard and again observe performance. Try to identify some change that takes place just before or when the RGB keyboard dies.

Takes some time and effort but the process will get easier as you learn. Hopefully you will spot something that will help identify the source of the problem.

Note: Because the keyboard works on your Lenovo you could do the same sort of observations/tests on the Lenovo for comparison purposes.

There will likely be some inherent differences but there may also be some big difference as well. That big difference would be another clue.

LRMaster

Prominent
Jun 11, 2021
Your English is fine.

On your sister's HP laptop first verify that the correct keyboard drivers are installed.

Even if correct, and the problem continues, try manually downloading the keyboard drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website, Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party driver installers.

If reinstalling the drivers does not work then look in Windows 10's Reliability History.

Reliability History may be capturing some errors or other events that correspond to the keyboard's dying. And, the timeline format may show you exactly when those problems began.

Another thing you can do is use Performance Monitor and Task Manager to observe the HP laptop's performance.

Use both but only one at a time.

Observe first with only the laptop's keyboard in use and the new RGB keyboard unplugged.

Then plug in the RGB keyboard and again observe performance. Try to identify some change that takes place just before or when the RGB keyboard dies.

Takes some time and effort but the process will get easier as you learn. Hopefully you will spot something that will help identify the source of the problem.

Note: Because the keyboard works on your Lenovo you could do the same sort of observations/tests on the Lenovo for comparison purposes.

There will likely be some inherent differences but there may also be some big difference as well. That big difference would be another clue.
sorry for a late reply, sadly its starting to act up again on my lenovo this time. worst thing is, i cant find any info on the drivers used, since the keyboard im using isnt a keyboard from a large company. i feel like it has something to do with the usb, since it has a longer usb plug than the usb devices i use and it causes it to move more when plugged in which kills it. it locks up (locks up as in registering the last pressed key until i unplug it or it responds again) before showing the 'usb device not recognized issue' (issue happens on my lenovo laptop)

LRMaster

Prominent
Jun 11, 2021
good news! the cable was the issue. the cable needs to be in a certain angle to work. i decided to make it into a type c version. since my keyboard is rgb, do i just directly connect the cables up to the solder points directly or do i need to add something else here?
91442d78-f4f9-4307-a32d-f9d6e30b8569.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
Solution