Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse AND Speaker Switch???

Hey all,

Scoping around ebay for a switch that allows both my computers to share
all the external hardware (the printer is shared on the network)...I can
find switches for keyboard/mouse/monitor but none include speaker pass
throughs. I post here because this even sounds like it might be an easy
thing for a beginning electronics hobbiest to build/make. If anyone
knows where I can find one or where I might even find a schematic for
such a thing please let me know...I'd like to take care of this ASAP.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:50:15 -0400, Danny Hoskins
<ddh1969@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Scoping around ebay for a switch that allows both my computers to share
>all the external hardware (the printer is shared on the network)...I can
>find switches for keyboard/mouse/monitor but none include speaker pass
>throughs. I post here because this even sounds like it might be an easy
>thing for a beginning electronics hobbiest to build/make. If anyone
>knows where I can find one or where I might even find a schematic for
>such a thing please let me know...I'd like to take care of this ASAP.

Did you try putting "KVM audio" into any search engines?

Here's one,
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=291407

Thanks for the help peeps...I didn't know they were called KVM and I
found a ton on ebay and I've got a bid on one already...

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:50:15 -0400, Danny Hoskins
<ddh1969@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Scoping around ebay for a switch that allows both my computers to share
>all the external hardware (the printer is shared on the network)...I can
>find switches for keyboard/mouse/monitor but none include speaker pass
>throughs. I post here because this even sounds like it might be an easy
>thing for a beginning electronics hobbiest to build/make. If anyone
>knows where I can find one or where I might even find a schematic for
>such a thing please let me know...I'd like to take care of this ASAP.

Another option is that you dont' necessarily need speaker
pass-thru on a KVM at all for only 2 system use. By
plugging the secondary system's audio-out into the primary
(use, always on-on) system's audio input, (and togging the
audio mixer control if necessary) you can have both
systems' output coming out of the primary's output.

alex

Danny Hoskins wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Scoping around ebay for a switch that allows both my computers to share
> all the external hardware (the printer is shared on the network)...I can
> find switches for keyboard/mouse/monitor but none include speaker pass
> throughs. I post here because this even sounds like it might be an easy
> thing for a beginning electronics hobbiest to build/make. If anyone
> knows where I can find one or where I might even find a schematic for
> such a thing please let me know...I'd like to take care of this ASAP.

Like Kony says there are KVM's with audio leads. One manufacturer that
makes them is ATen for example. Be aware the audio quality may not be
what you would expect from a seperate set of speakers and audio cable,
especially if plugging directly in with headphones.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:50:15 -0400, Danny Hoskins
<ddh1969@bellsouth.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Scoping around ebay for a switch that allows both my computers to share
>all the external hardware (the printer is shared on the network)...I can
>find switches for keyboard/mouse/monitor but none include speaker pass
>throughs.

I have a passive 2-way KVM with the usual single multipole rotary
switch. It has three spare sets of contacts which I've wired for
stereo audio.

- Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:33:14 -0400, Danny Hoskins
<ddh1969@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the help peeps...I didn't know they were called KVM and I
>found a ton on ebay and I've got a bid on one already...

I used to use a KVM on my system, but was never that impressed with
having to physically switch over every time I wanted to use the
secondary hardware ( and the switch was always in the wrong place! ).
Settled instead on a Matrox dual head vga card in 'clone desktop'
mode, and doubled up the input peripherals by fitting a usb cordless
mouse and keyboard alongside the existing PS/2 ones.

Works a treat!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk