Question Keyboard/Mouse Lose Power at Windows 10 Startup Screen

rheebrosinc

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello, I have a Windows 10 64bit PC. For some reason my keyboard and mouse loses power when I'm at the Windows 10 startup screen. Everything was fine the day before.

My motherboard (Asrock) has 4 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports and no matter where I plug in my keyboard/mouse they don't respond. However, If I plug in my mouse in any of the USB 3.0 ports, it gets power but no response. I can't even get into the BIOS using these ports.

They only way I was able to get into the BIOS was plugging my keyboard/mouse into the USB 3.0 ports located in the front panel of my computer case. The mouse and keyboard work completely fine.

When I go into the BIOS and then go to Advanced:
USB 2.0 and 3.0 controllers are both enabled.
Legacy USB Support and Legacy USB 3.0 Support are both enabled.

I tried resetting the BIOS via CMOS battery but that didn't help.

I tried going into Windows Recovery mode but the keyboard and mouse stop working once i get into the setup screen.

One other observation I saw was that even though I was able get into the BIOS using the method I mentioned earlier, if I were to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in, no power goes to it and it doesn't respond. However, if I do the same thing to the mouse, no issue.

It seems like my USB ports are being blocked or something. I would appreciate some input on what I should try next or if you all know of the solution.

Worst case, I can do a clean install of windows on this computer since only my mother uses it just for web browsing. So there isn't any important data to backup but I'd prefer to see if this can get resolved. I'd like to know what to do if I were to encounter this issue again.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2020
Hello rheebrosinc,

I am sorry you have issues with your PC. I actually had the same problem quite a while ago now. My installation corrupted and the drivers weren't installed. I just reinstalled Windows. I had some important data on my PC so I did a DuelBoot and booted into the New Windows 10 I installed and called my older one Data (D:). I also deleted the boot files of the older partition.

Hopes this helps,
Naly A