Question Keyboard & Mouse randomly disconnecting while gaming ?

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
3 days ago both my mouse and my keyboard started turning off at the same time randomly while gaming (only while gaming or even when starting a game). Both my keyboard and mouse are fairly new so I don't believe they are the problem. When this happens i always hear the windows usb disconnect/connect sound and they both turn off for maybe 5-10 seconds each time, then randomly connect again. I updated all my drivers and checked multiple times that the usb ports and the wires are fine. While googling the issue I have tried turning off the power saving feature on the devices in question to no result.

I looked in the reliability history and found that when this issue occurs theres always some kind of "hardware failure" at the same time the keyboard/mouse turn off, the name of the issue is "LiveKernelEvent" with the code 144, If anyone knows what this means or if it's related please help.

I was also worried it might have something to do with my PSU, it's atleast 3-4 years old and is not 80+ rated, made by a company named "ARGUS" which don't seem too popular.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI a320M pro-e
Gtx 1660 Ti
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz RAM
PSU: 700W ARGUS
960Gb SSD
Windwos 10 Home Edition
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse: Fourze GM800

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Hey there,

What bios are you running on the system? Is it the latest one? There is a USB bug in one of the earlier bios'.

Is there software being used for the keyboard and mouse? If so, uninstall and see if the issue persists.
Turns out I didn't update my bios, I will try if this fixes it and report back.

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Hey there,

What bios are you running on the system? Is it the latest one? There is a USB bug in one of the earlier bios'.

Is there software being used for the keyboard and mouse? If so, uninstall and see if the issue persists.
Turns out it did nothing, both my keyboard and my mouse is still disconnecting randomly but even for longer periods of time now? Now when mouse/keyboard disconnects the mouse turns completly off while the keyboard is still glowing with rgb but neither respond at all, I now also have to unplug and plug in the usb to my keyboard specifically for them both to start working.

I uninstalled the software for my stuff and updated bios, still results in the same thing happening

Turns out it did nothing, both my keyboard and my mouse is still disconnecting randomly but even for longer periods of time now? Now when mouse/keyboard disconnects the mouse turns completly off while the keyboard is still glowing with rgb but neither respond at all, I now also have to unplug and plug in the usb to my keyboard specifically for them both to start working.

I uninstalled the software for my stuff and updated bios, still results in the same thing happening
Make sure to clear CMOS after you update bios. This is an important part of the update to complete.

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Are all your system drivers up to date? Chipset driver? Are you using the Ryzen balanced power plan?
Im pretty sure I have updated all drivers to the latest version but is there a way to easily check this just to make sure? Also my pc is running on "high performance" powerplan, should I change that?

Im pretty sure I have updated all drivers to the latest version but is there a way to easily check this just to make sure? Also my pc is running on "high performance" powerplan, should I change that?

If there's one that says Ryzen Balanced, you should use that.

You must go to the manufacturers website and download the latest ones here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A320M-PRO-E/support

Let us know when it's all done.

Hmmm, after ruling out most hardware in a software environment, all that's left is an OS re-install. I know how much pf a pain that can be. I'd prob go with a clean fresh install rather than a repair. It's possible you've introduced something that is causing an issue. Clean install might be best.

It's possible after that, that it could be the mobo/ports.

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Hmmm, after ruling out most hardware in a software environment, all that's left is an OS re-install. I know how much pf a pain that can be. I'd prob go with a clean fresh install rather than a repair. It's possible you've introduced something that is causing an issue. Clean install might be best.

It's possible after that, that it could be the mobo/ports.
I'm gonna try resetting, hopefully this fixes it, if it doesn't Im gonna be really happy and have a great rest of this day :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately "fairly new" does not equal "problem free".

= = = =

What game(s)?

= = = =

Try the mouse and keyboard on another known working system.

Try another known working ( no disconnects) keyboard and mouse on your system.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the keyboard and mouse.

Reliability History is good. Also check Event Viewer. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Skorvan

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Unfortunately "fairly new" does not equal "problem free".

= = = =

What game(s)?

= = = =

Try the mouse and keyboard on another known working system.

Try another known working ( no disconnects) keyboard and mouse on your system.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the keyboard and mouse.

Reliability History is good. Also check Event Viewer. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html
Good attitude! :)

Well, let us know. If after the Windows install doesn't help, I'd then suggest bringing to a local repair store and getting them to swap out the mobo, and test. Should only cost about 20£$€
Hello again, sorry I've been busy the last couple of days and testing stuff so I wasn't able to reply nonetheless, I finally got the answer to what was causing the problem or maybe more like how to avoid it. Turns out it was the mouse I had specifically!

After resetting windows the problem occured almost immidiately so I took Ralstons suggestion and switched both the mouse and keyboard (probably should've thought of that earlier lol) I have now narrowed it down to the mouse specifically but honestly I don't know why the mouse acts like it does.

The mouse somehow shuts down both my keyboard and itself (also tried with different computer/keyboard combo, to no avail) but starts working again if i unplug and plug it in again. NOTE that the Fourze GM800 could be the cause for something like this incase anyone has the same problem in the future. But atleast now I got the problem solved, the next step for me now is to get a new mouse, thank you for your help guys!

Hey there,

Ah good.

Yes, as pointed out, a mouse or keyboard, badly made can cause all sorts of probs. And exactly like yours.

It's most likely a bug in the driver for the mouse causing the issue.

I'd recommend a Corsair RGB Harpoon Wireless. It's a great little gaming mouse, and the iCUE software is pretty mature.

Worth a look.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
3 days ago both my mouse and my keyboard started turning off at the same time randomly while gaming (only while gaming or even when starting a game). Both my keyboard and mouse are fairly new so I don't believe they are the problem. When this happens i always hear the windows usb disconnect/connect sound and they both turn off for maybe 5-10 seconds each time, then randomly connect again. I updated all my drivers and checked multiple times that the usb ports and the wires are fine. While googling the issue I have tried turning off the power saving feature on the devices in question to no result.

I looked in the reliability history and found that when this issue occurs theres always some kind of "hardware failure" at the same time the keyboard/mouse turn off, the name of the issue is "LiveKernelEvent" with the code 144, If anyone knows what this means or if it's related please help.

I was also worried it might have something to do with my PSU, it's atleast 3-4 years old and is not 80+ rated, made by a company named "ARGUS" which don't seem too popular.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI a320M pro-e
Gtx 1660 Ti
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz RAM
PSU: 700W ARGUS
960Gb SSD
Windwos 10 Home Edition
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite
Mouse: Fourze GM800
Do you live alone at home?
I ask cause I had the same problem and the cause was the electric line, infact when a heavy energy consumer device was turned on, for a while mk was off and then returning on as well my TV(just a monitor with decoder) and monitor do it.
I noticed it for example on my tv when I turn on/off lights or while using the iron(for dress), infct this lst device use 2Kw.
If you are alone then and nothing automatic is there, then it could be anyway your powerline or also a psu/system problem