Keyboard/mouse stops working at Win 7 login screen, help!

Homers

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Toshiba laptop
Windows 7 x64

As title says, they stop working at the logon screen. I'm actually dual booting and on the other OS it works fine, as well as on the BIOS, so it's a software issue. I've tried a lot of solutions that were suggested on various sites:

-Take battery out and hold power for 30 secs
-Change 'Legacy' USB mode in BIOS
-System Restore (I didn't have a restore point)
-Boot with 'disable driver signature' through F8
-Safe mode
-UpperFilter/LowerFilter registry delete

Nothing worked at all. I tried an external mouse and managed to login through on-screen keyboard, and saw that the keyboard/mouse devices had yellow exclamations in Device Manager. However after deleting that UpperFilter registry key that some had suggested, the external mouse no longer works either after rebooting.

I think this problem can be solved if I install the drivers (I have the files from the Toshiba site) but the thing is, I can't install them without logging in, which is impossible at this point. Maybe a way to do this through my other working Windows installation? I need to fix this ASAP as I'll need it for study. Any suggestions?

Solution
YES! I've managed to fix it. It seems that the 'UpperFilters' in the registry was the culprit here.

Obviously I would've tried this earlier but I couldn't boot log into Windows to access the registry. I found that the way to access it was using MSDaRT (Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset), which is a more advanced recovery tool only available to Technet/MSDN people but I managed to find an ISO download link online. I burned it on a disc and booted with it, and through the DaRT tools managed to access the registry.

This thread helped me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/keyboard-doesnt-work/3e5abbc9-8853-49ac-a3a1-64e3f98b3628

As I said at the start I actually deleted the...

yellowkey1

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Do you have any other keyboards/mice laying around that you could try and plug in? Also, this might be a dumb question, but have you tried different USB ports on your PC?

Homers

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012

I don't have other mice but this one works on the other Windows installation on the disk. And yeah I've tried other USB ports too.

I'm trying to find a way to install the driver before boot, through the 'Repair your computer', but no luck yet.

Homers

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
YES! I've managed to fix it. It seems that the 'UpperFilters' in the registry was the culprit here.

Obviously I would've tried this earlier but I couldn't boot log into Windows to access the registry. I found that the way to access it was using MSDaRT (Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset), which is a more advanced recovery tool only available to Technet/MSDN people but I managed to find an ISO download link online. I burned it on a disc and booted with it, and through the DaRT tools managed to access the registry.

This thread helped me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/keyboard-doesnt-work/3e5abbc9-8853-49ac-a3a1-64e3f98b3628

As I said at the start I actually deleted the UpperFilters values I had because that was one of the solutions I found on a site. Anyway, now I added them back - an UpperFilters value called 'kbdclass' in the keyboard key, and another called 'mouclass' in the mouse key in the registry (refer to that link above). Reboot and both keyboard and mouse work!

Solution

yellowkey1

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

Good to know you found a solution! :)