Question Keyboard/Mouse work on Win 10 ssd but not Win 7 ssd

breezett93

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I just finished a new build on an Asrock z690 pg riptide. In addition to installing Windows 10, I also brought over my Win 7 ssd from my previous build Asus z97 pro.
At first, UEFI only gave me one boot option. So, after disabling Secure Boot, I could try booting to Win 7. Keyboard and mouse don't work on login screen. They have power because lights are on.
This was not an issue on my previous build. I could switch between versions with no issues. How do I get my keyboard and mouse working when I boot to Win 7?

I have tried different usb ports and different hardware, including ps2.

USAFRet

Titan
Bringing a drive+OS from an old Z97 system to a new often fails.

With Win 7, very often fails. Completely. Just getting it to boot up is magical.
And with a Z690 motherboard? Not likely at all.

That it maybe/sorta worked in the past with completely different hardware is no guarantee of success now.

breezett93

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Bringing a drive+OS from an old Z97 system to a new often fails.

With Win 7, very often fails. Completely. Just getting it to boot up is magical.
And with a Z690 motherboard? Not likely at all.

That it maybe/sorta worked in the past with completely different hardware is no guarantee of success now.
So, your recommendation is reinstalling Windows 7 on the drive?

breezett93

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
What software?

Possibly run your Windows 7 in a VM?
It's a multiboxing program for a game I play. Since Win 10 was released, I have been researching trying to find a solution.
The program did work on Win 8.1, but took more fine-tuning of settings. With Win 7, I have very little set up to do.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to run the game in VM with high performance?

USAFRet

Titan
It's a multiboxing program for a game I play. Since Win 10 was released, I have been researching trying to find a solution.
The program did work on Win 8.1, but took more fine-tuning of settings. With Win 7, I have very little set up to do.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to run the game in VM with high performance?
Yeah, games generally don't do well in a VM environment.

Might be a problem with USB 3 drivers The ones for the board might not support Windows 7. If there aren't any generic ones that work for the combination you might be out of luck.
If you want to keep that combination running (despite all possible incompatibility issues) you could buy a USB card with Windows 7 support and see if that works. And if not, at least you have more than 6 USB ports at the back ;)

breezett93

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
ASRock support finally got back to me and said the MB is not compatible with Windows 7.

I guess my final options before returning the board is lordmogul's option.

Any suggestions on where to look for a card like that?