Keyboard not functioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karagiannisal

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Hi, today my computer keyboard decided to stop working. Yesterday I was using the laptop by doing a lot of typing so Icam ensure the problem happened today. All lights (wifi key and *in startup* caps lock key) work fine but all key functionality is gone. Happened between laptop restart and not in use. I tried to system restore 9 days back and to reinstall the keyboard myself, none of which worked. Any answer is appreciated.

Solution
I can't guaranty that it will work. Can't see the damage myself. :) However if an external one is working fine, I would think it is the physical keyboard. Have you tried an external mouse? If it works, then again, the damage could have effected the touch pad as well.
Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Karagiannisal

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
I tried reinstalling driver -no luck. Tried external keyboard and it works fine after installing its drivers. Whats scaring me is that the touch pad seems to be broken aswell... I found out later because Im not a touch pad fan but as a result I dont know if Ive caused the issue by mistake or it happened togetherwith my keyboard... Would the first case mean theres something more important like a motherboard issue?

Well if it was the motherboard you would be having other problems. Not just the keyboard. It is completely possible it got disconnected, or something damaged that connects the keyboard. Or it could just need replacing. It happens.

If the device is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, you can try and replace it yourself, or take it to a shop that can.

I can't guaranty that it will work. Can't see the damage myself. :) However if an external one is working fine, I would think it is the physical keyboard. Have you tried an external mouse? If it works, then again, the damage could have effected the touch pad as well.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.