Question Keyboard not requesting enough power from USB

Jan 30, 2021
Trying to get a 3rd party keyboard working on iMac, but it won't respond at all. The keyboard will turn on when the computer boots, but as soon as the Apple logo appears on screen, it shuts off.
The computer is recognizing that it is connected and is a keyboard. When I click Change Input Method, it opens the dialog to press certain keys it doesn't recognize. When pressed, nothing happens. I got the same thing to happen with another keyboard but it was staying powered on and the dialog responded to the keyboard input.
I checked the USB information for the device. It is showing 500mA available, but showing 100mA current required. I think the issue is that the keyboard is not requesting enough power for some reason on the iMac
This is working correctly connected to a Windows computer. Tried to find information about the power output to the keyboard through Windows, but it only shows that the power status is D0, not the current output.
Searched around but couldn't find any similar issues.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021
I have definitely misidentified the issue. Just thought to connect the working keyboard and check power requested, it's also showing 100mA
I did notice that the working keyboard is showing as USB-HID Keyboard, and the one that is not working is only showing U
Could somehow correcting that get the computer to ID the device?