[SOLVED] Keyboard not responding when booting w/ new GPU

Sep 9, 2020
Hi! I'm a complete novice when it comes to PC building, but thought I'd try and revamp my family's old 2012 PC by installing a new GPU. It's an HP Pavilion p7-1167c Desktop PC with
  • Core i5 2400 Processor
  • 300 W PSU
  • (new) GeForce GTX 1650 GPU
  • (built in) Intel HD Graphics 2000
  • Windows 7
  • Motherboard
  • The computer worked fine using built-in Intel graphics before I put in the new GPU, but now, after installation, I get stuck at the start-up screen. I am unable to press the "esc" key to access system start, and switching my keyboard to different USB ports doesn't work. This only occurs when I use HDMI to the GPU and the computer works fine when I use the VGA or DVI ports (not to GPU) instead. I'm really stumped on what to do (I've checked BIOS and made sure all my USB ports are enabled and that there's no safety bios feature) Please help! Is it a problem with the PSU? Would resetting the BIOS by moving the battery work? Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
This is an extremely old setup, that 300W PSU might have conked out on you and not be able to keep up with ~200W of power from that setup. It's probably a terrible Great Wall unit or something similar, which means it likely didn't fare well over 8 years.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
This is an extremely old setup, that 300W PSU might have conked out on you and not be able to keep up with ~200W of power from that setup. It's probably a terrible Great Wall unit or something similar, which means it likely didn't fare well over 8 years.

Solution
Sep 9, 2020
I absolutely can see that being the case, but lights and fans turn on for the GPU when I turn on the PC. Is it possible there's still not enough power or keyboard isn't receiving any? Thank you so much